Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Costume Company - New Recommendations

Posted 09-19-2018 17:16
    Hi,

I'm checking in to see if anyone has new amazing costume companies to recommend.  I've had a few bad experiences with companies who sent lots of costumes that were ripped or stained or who sent bunches of costumes that didn't fit the actors.  Because I don't want to pay an extra rental fee for an extra week, my costumes all arrive just in time for dress rehearsal.  If lots don't work at the last minute, that's a problem.  Which group is really good?

Thanks for any thoughts that you have.

Kim

------------------------------
    Kimberly Taylor
    Oakland CA

• 2.  RE: Costume Company - New Recommendations

Posted 09-20-2018 08:22
    I have had reliable service for years from Costume Holiday House in Columbus Ohio and The Costumer in Schenectady, New York.
    Both have websites:
    www.costumeholidayhouse.com, www.thecostumer.com

MW

• 3.  RE: Costume Company - New Recommendations

Posted 09-20-2018 09:21
    I use Disguises out of Denver, CO.  They saved my bacon a number of years ago with Shek, and I won't use anybody else now.  They are so easy to work with.  Everything fits when we get the costumes. Can't recommend them enough!!! Give them a call. Seriously the best.

Mike Hancey
    Musical Theatre, Drama, Theatre Guild, & Theater Manager
    Laramie High School
    Laramie, WY

• 4.  RE: Costume Company - New Recommendations

Posted 09-20-2018 09:32

I offer a second recommendation for both Costume Holiday House and The Costumer. We have had positive experiences with both companies. You may wish to contact local collages and universities. Often times they offer rental services for props and costumes as well. It is always great to make connections with them too.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 5.  RE: Costume Company - New Recommendations

Posted 09-21-2018 09:07
    All, 
    I'm reading this thread and am a new owner of a company (theatrical supplies) called Theatre House, www.theatrehouse.com. It's been around since 1955, but I'm all new to this company and trying to modernize our organization. We're trying our best to be the first choice in online theatrical supply. I have a LONG way to go (no doubt)--know that I read and care about these things here and follow the conversations on the forum here to learn. It's been invaluable. 

If you were me, what things can an organization do that make your life easier? Here are the things that we've tried to do: 

• Choice: We're trying to turn our inventory over and you can find whatever we have in real time on our website. What specialty products do you look for that make your life easier, better or inspire you? 
    • Purchase Orders: We do PO's and I think are pretty good at working with purchasing/finance/accounting organizations. 
    • Shipping: We typically ship same day. 
    • Catalog: Previous owners did away with this, but we're working hard to get a new one out. The thing that has been challenging with this is getting our product catalog updated AND printing a new catalog. Thankfully, we're almost there this year with our new catalogs. 

I obviously read this and schools are a large composition of our customer base. What would you tell me to do to make your life easier and improve what we do? 

Thank you for any comments/feedback. 
    Marty 

--
    Marty Boyer
    martyb@theatrehouse.com
    President, Theatre House
    www.theatrehouse.com

• 6.  RE: Costume Company - New Recommendations

Posted 09-21-2018 11:34
    Good recommendations so far. I would add that you should check out what is specific to your area. I'd ask the local theatre companies who they use. For example, in Phoenix, we have a killer rental option called Costume Connection. It's got buildings of individual pieces, accessories, and full costumes. If you can find something like that I'd really recommend it to fill out your needs around the other options listed.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ