Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Searching for Virtual Shakespeare Workshops for high school directors

Posted 06-06-2020 14:29
    Hello!  I am searching online for virtual Shakespeare Workshops for high school directors over this summer.  I have not found anything in my search so I am reaching out to find out where I should look.  Also, if you have any recommendations for resources for directors new to directing educational Shakespeare that would be great too!  Thank you!

Ms. Tracy Lynn Wagner
    Physical Education Teacher
    FPA Dramatic Director & Choreographer 
    International Thespian Society Troupe #8880 Director
    AV Coordinator/ AV Crew Director
    Student Council Moderator

Lancaster Catholic High School

650 Juliette Ave.
    Lancaster, PA 17601
    717-509-0315
    717-509-0312 (fax)

Confidentiality Notice:

This message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Searching for Virtual Shakespeare Workshops for high school directors

Posted 06-07-2020 12:29

Hi Tracy,

Contact Shakespeare & Company in Lenox, MA (easily found at shakespeare.org) and ask to speak to someone in the Education department. [The theatre company uses the "&" while the book store uses "and." ]  Their education program and specific focus on training high school teachers how to teach and direct is the gold standard in the US. (I've had perfectly fine experience with Folger as well.) They used to run a summer institute through the NEH for high school teachers which was fantastic. I don't know whether they are still doing this, but it's worth asking when the next one will be. It's also worth asking if they have resources available for teachers outside their programs.

If you need something good in your week and you want to see 500 rural teenagers hanging on every word, laughing easily at 400 year old jokes, and hissing all the villains, see what you can search up about the "Fall Festival of Shakespeare." I'm assuming there are some public videos, and it's an event like nothing else.

There are also a handful of artists and teachers on these boards who have a lot of experience and specific training in Shakespeare, and we'd be happy to answer your questions too!

------------------------------
    Meg O'Connor
    The Masters School
    Dobbs Ferry, NY
    oconnormainstage.com

• 3.  RE: Searching for Virtual Shakespeare Workshops for high school directors

Posted 06-07-2020 14:25
    Hi Tracy!

In addition to the one-man Shakespeare shows I'm doing on line this summer, I've begun a weekly series of 15-minute "explainer" videos, to give students/teachers sufficient background to make these plays more accessible. In recent weeks, I've posted "I Finally GET Hamlet!", "I finally GET Shakespeare's Histories!" and "Five Really Important Questions about Julius Caesar!" (As well as "I finally GET Moliere!")

You can find all of these on my You Tube channel "TimMooneyRep", and Tonight and Monday (9 pm), on Facebook and Zoom, respectively, I'm performing "Breakneck Hamlet." (The Hamlet "explainer" is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItpAvS7HqE&t=1s )

I also offer Shakespeare coaching through my Zoom channel (appointments via www.callendly.com/timmooneyrep )

Hope you can join us!
    Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    www.moliere-in-english.com

• 4.  RE: Searching for Virtual Shakespeare Workshops for high school directors

Posted 06-08-2020 07:58
    Hi Tracy,

You can also check out Broadway Weekends at Home on FB. They have a weekly pay what you can Shakespeare class for all ages.

[Jen] [Jordan]
    [Director of Theater and Dance]
    [Junior Class and Day Student Advisor]
    [Miss Hall's School]
    [Pittsfield] [MA]