Open Forum

View Only

"Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

• 1.  "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-20-2018 17:07

I need help figuring out how to help my struggling program put on a musical this year, if it's possible. 
    I teach at a small school in a rural, remote part of Texas. I'm starting my 5th year of teaching and it will be my 2nd year teaching at this school. (I used to teach in a large suburban school in Florida- quite different!) 

Last year we did a musical-- the school's first in a decade. We did "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" and while it came together in the end and turned out well, the process of getting there was... a struggle, to put it mildly. We began with a cast of 20 (we used an ensemble for the group numbers) but by the time we performed we were down to 10. We knew we might lose some kiddos along the way which is one of the reasons we chose YAGMCB but losing 50% is a lot, and if I could have, I would have removed several others for poor attendance. It was the stuff of nightmares. Also, we struggle with the lack of boys, as many schools do. Of the 10 who stuck it out, only 3 were boys. All 6 of the lead roles were played by girls except one (Schroeder).

On a different, but related note, we also had a very hard time selling tickets despite our best efforts. Sports are king here and getting people to come support anything that doesn't resemble a football game is really difficult. We had 4 performances and had less than 300 people in attendance across all 4 performances. Our old-school auditorium seats 800 people, so 75 people feels like 5. It's very disheartening for the kids.

Despite all of this, the students all loved it in the end, hugged and cried when it was over, and talked about how they couldn't wait for next year, etc. as kids do (ok adults too sometimes).

My music director (choir teacher) and I are willing to try again, but we both recognize that we need a new approach. We need to try to get more students involved in the musical and also get more people to come and see the show. We're going to try moving the performances to a different time of the year in hopes that it might help. We will also try to have a longer, more spread out rehearsal schedule (which is not my favorite thing, but probably necessary). But, we're a bit stuck on what else we need to do to be more successful.

One of the options that we're considering is doing a "Jr" show and inviting older elementary or middle school kids to be in the chorus too. There are other small schools in our region who have had great success with this kind of thing. 

The potential positives are that we could do a show with a really recognizable title (maybe Disney?) in the hopes of selling more tickets, also sell more tickets because of the larger (and younger) cast, and it would probably be easier to get away with having almost no boys. (No one cares if a cartoon fish is a boy or a girl whereas, at least in our town, no one will buy a male romantic lead played by a girl.) It could be a good way to try to build our program by sowing interest among the kids so when they get to HS in a few years, they will come join theatre and/or choir.  Also, the Jr. shows are shorter and less challenging (maybe?).  

The negatives are also plentiful. The thought of bringing younger kids on board scares me a bit. I've worked some with smaller children although it's been quite a few years. I worry that the commitment issues I have with the older ones will be the same with the younger ones, which would make it all worse. More people = more potential issues (sometimes). So, maybe it would be better to stay small and simple. Also, I worry that my HS kids won't respond well to working with younger kids or on a Jr version. I have never wanted to do the Jr shows at the HS level because I always felt that they would be too childish and too dumbed down. They seem to be designed more for Middle school (or even younger), although I have no direct experience with Jr version shows. But, now I recognize that it may be what we need and all we can handle right now. I'm just not sure. 

Does anyone out there have experience with Jr. versions at the high school level or with a mixed cast of HS and younger kids? What are the perils and pitfalls of such a plan? If you have done this with success do you have specific titles you would recommend over others?
    Or, if you think Jr. versions are not the way to go, what other suggestions would you have for a very small-cast musical that would be easier for a struggling program to pull off?

Any advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#musicals #smallschool #strugglingprogram #juniormusicals

​​​​​

------------------------------
    Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director

• 2.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-21-2018 06:44
    Hi,

A number of the MTI shows also have a "Theatre for Young Audiences" (TYA) version. From MIT's website...the explanation between the Jr. and TYA version for Willy Wonka for example: WILLY WONKA is a full-length title.  WILLY WONKA TYA is an abridged version for adults to perform for a young audience.  WILLY WONKA JR is an abridged version for young performers to perform specifically.  You might find it easier to "sell" a TYA to your high school students.  We did the Wonka TYA version a few years back and it was very successful.  You'd definitely have the opportunity to include your middle school/upper elementary kids in a show like this since you  might find some gems there to play the kids parts (or few of them...don't want to put your high schooler's noses out of place...some of the 'boys' in the cast could be played by a girl) and, obviously, the Oompa Loompas can be your younger students.

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 3.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-21-2018 07:57
    I think the junior "Little Mermaid" is actually a lovely evening! It has all of the best parts and few repeats. I actually prefer it to the longer version. You could use your best players as the mersisters and featured performers and add a middle school ensemble as sea creatures and chefs. You would rehearse them separately and really only have to bring them all together at the end. 

If if you do the merfamily on heelies as they did on Broadway it can really be fun! They biggest advantage to the juniors is that they come with recorded music and the vocals have been simplified. I do them every year with our Middle school and we couldn't be happier. Audiences love them! Break a leg!

Timonium MD

• 4.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-21-2018 07:56
    My experience in building a program is to start with younger groups. A junior show that allows high school students might be a perfect choice. You will find more parent engagement from parents of younger students as well!

best of luck,

Lori

Lori Duncan
    Drama Teacher
    Bay City MI

• 5.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-21-2018 08:40
    I previously worked at a k-12 school, so our musicals were always all school. The leads went to older kids, while the younger kids were generally chorus (unless the show had parts specifically for younger kids). We did full shows during the school year, but Jr. shows in the summer.
    You need to have a clear contract, and present it at a parent meeting. Make sure the parents know that the "littles" will be held to the same standard as the older kids. I also have a full rehearsal schedule, that only has the chorus coming in a couple times a week. If they are at rehearsals were they are not used, then they get bored and are a distraction.
    Another consideration is to try and get the rest of the faculty on board. Choose a show with a historical or literary connection, so that the material can be used in other classes.

• 6.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-21-2018 12:17
    A few things that have helped me while building a program: I run 6 acting classes from end of September-October, the first one is always for new kids. Classes are fun and light, rehearsals are more serious.

Cabaret auditions & it’s (10) rehearsals begin in November, Musical auditions in Dec. Flyer does not say name of Musical it only says that all who audition will be cast. I want them excited about auditions so they don’t decide not to audition based on title or fear of being cut. Auditions run over 2 days, no call backs & they have to come to at least 1, but 2 is always better.

The (50) rehearsals begin the first day back after Christmas break with Read Thru & Parent meeting, complete with handbook & full rehearsal calendar, I try to make no changes even when Things come up for me. I empathize my rule: go to all your other activities (clubs, sports, dance, instruments, etc that you wrote on your conflict sheet (Tues-Thurs 4:30-7:30). Monday is music rehearsals, including 3 (1/2) hr individual music rehearsals for 3 leads (this alternates so each lead gets about 5 individuals). Friday is review, dance is 1/2 hr before all rehearsals, except no dance on Friday short rehearsals. The last 2 weeks belongs to Drama, Mandatory Music on Stage Week & Tech Week.

Everything starts at same time: sat morning scenery Painting, music Mondays, review Fridays, Blocking is 4 (1/2) hr blocks for all of Jan, so call days/times vary, I have a review for last hour of each rehearsal in Jan so if you had a conflict, come for last hour to review, or before your other activities as even a 1/2 hr would give you important blocking. This gets them use to coming before or after their activities instead of missing all of rehearsal.

Crew comes February. Feb-March younger kids are invited to join for 4 rehearsals, work on separate Choreography for 1-2 scenes with them in Act 1, includes them going into audience, their costumes basic. Little’s come the last 2 weeks in May. Add a kick line for them in front of stage in Act 2. They sit with parents in Act 2 during shows.

Talent Show in Feb. Dance cuts, no scripts Act 1, no scripts Act 2, Publicity pictures, Costume Day, no prompting, music on stage, tech week all listed on calendar & I refer to them regularly (milestones). They have intense weeks & full weeks off. 1 1/2 weeks off Before another activities big day, I schedule off Holy Week & Easter week, state testing week off, all big events at school & the day before off. I add extras to almost every scene, not just chorus #’s, those with no lines often have 5 costume changes. Everyone is featured in some way in Show. Dance cuts bring some forward instead of back, don’t dance but give them something else to do.

I pick a Show that has speaking parts for at least the # I had in cast the year before. June 1 Show, until I could build an audience, did 1 night, better to have 1 intense crowd then 3 small. I did Charlie Brown 10 years ago as my first show with 7 kids, this year I had 27 audition, we lost 4 (usually lose 7), so I’m looking for a Show with at least 23 speaking parts. Use to do Great old shows (Godspell, Li’l Abner, Annie Get your Gun, Drood, Applause but they have now priced themselves out of my reach, so always looking at alternatives to known shows (Oz instead of Wizard of Oz, smaller version of Secret Garden, In St. Louis at the Fair, instead of Meet Me in St. Louis), I don’t do Juniors.

I’m looking for a Show this year with at least 4 Leads & at least 6 Supporting, and at least 3 Featured & at least 23 characters. I have 9 Seniors so I need more Supporting than usual. I have 185 on my list, gone through 120, have a short list of 10, any suggestions?

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-21-2018 15:24
    A couple pf suggestions for building your program:

Appeal to your colleagues. Maybe they can offer students extra credit points for auditioning, or by going to see the production. Some of my fellow teachers ask students to write a 1 to 2 page critique for extra credit in English.

Ask Admin to help promote the program. Sometimes they can persuade faculty to support you.

Find helpful parents and ask them to bring their friends and co-workers to the production.

At this point, I wouldn't discount the Jr. versions. While we typically use them for our Middle School students, the Jr. shows might be a great place to start since the students know may of them. Combining older and younger students is tricky. My school auditions grades 7 through 12 for our productions and we've never had a problem with students getting along. The great thing about Theatre students is they are usually the ones who are most accepting.

If you can perform a show that appeals to elementary students from feeder schools, invite them to the production and hook them early. By the time they get to you they will already be inspired to participate.

I wonder if you show your classes some Youtube clips from shows, which ones they would want to perform. Maybe a quick survey?

Best wishes!

• 8.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-22-2018 08:19
    Theatre is always a 'leap of faith'. Having taught high school theatre for 12 years, and before that started elementary and preschool theatre programs, that has become my mantra. Anytime that I have started a new program the numbers have been terrible and then the next year they increase. You never know who is watching from the audience saying to themselves, " I could do that" and then shows up at your auditions they next year.

That said, every year I direct a junior show with my musical theatre show which is 10-12 grade students.  Yes some are "dumbed down" and made easier for younger students; however, I like them because they are more manageable in a classroom setting, the show package makes life easier in that they come with scripts that you keep (no erasing or worry about being charged at the end of the show and no extra trip to the post office), and they come with quality accompaniment.  The scripts that I have done and are better suited to challenge high school students are: Fiddler on the Roof, Singin' in the Rain, Godspell, Thoroughly Modern Millie, & Into the Woods.  My students like doing Seussical, Willy Wonka too - but referred to them as children's theatre. I think that the Disney shows are wonderful scripts but they are more expensive (lots of costumes and special effects) and they are based on movies so there are multiple sets involved. 

May I suggest that if you are thinking about adding middle school cast members, that you consider Willy Wonka. The high school students could play the adult roles and the middle school students could play the kids and Oompa Loompas - just a thought. Fiddler on the Roof is about family so you could use the high school students for the major singing roles and fill in with a middle school chorus to fill out the families.

If you decide not to deal with the younger kids (I have only directed during the school year with younger kids once - King and I - and it was challenging dealing with schedules and children mixed with older students back stage.)  May I suggest a small show with audience participation like The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (9 roles and there are  MTI approved alternative lyrics for the erection song). Also 13 the musical - even though it is set in middle school, high school students love it (13 roles, but it is expandable with a chorus). 

Good luck with your program and feel free to send me a message if you decided to do a junior show - I have done a lot of them over the years.

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 9.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-22-2018 09:20
    The Junior versions are great!  Your idea sounds like it will build your program by inviting younger people in.  The Jr. versions also build your program because the audience members like the familiar material and the shorter show. 

Go for it!

Joshua Brady
    Menifee CA

• 10.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-24-2018 12:55
    ​Good afternoon,

Love the Junior shows. They come with everything you need to produce a production. There is also Theatrical Rights Worldwide also has smaller musicals and young performer shows that are very good to work with.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 11.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-24-2018 16:41
    Your situation sounds eerily similar to mine...
    I am going in to my 4th year teaching, this will be my second at my new school.
    We have quite a few females turn out for auditions, but not many males.
    We did You're a Good Man Charlie Brown last year, with great success, but it did not come without turmoil.  My students had a hard time warming up to me as it was my first year and I was much more strict than their last teacher.  I did not want to put on a failure so I was a tiny bit strict, but not as nearly as much as I felt I should be, because I was afraid of losing kids.
    My students did a phenomenal job, and I ended up getting quite a few people there.  But a lot of the students were Seniors, and I am finding myself with few strong males.
    Charlie Brown is a pretty short show even at full length, so it was easier. But I am worried about the upcoming year.
    What I think I will do is PROBABLY go with either a junior musical, or a short one.  I am thinking "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee".
    My husband has directed a junior musical at a HS before (ELF) and it worked wonderfully.  It really just depends on the show I guess.  I am sure Junior shows are more fit for school audiences anyway.  I see nothing wrong with doing a junior show.  Especially if the kids are excited about the show.  Just don't make it a point to tell them they're doing a Junior version.
    Honestly if you did Charlie Brown I would be worried about them feeling as though a Junior musical is childish.  Juniors are just shorter.  They still have the main themes.
    Essentially, DO WHAT YOUR STUDENTS CAN SUCCEED AT AND BE PROUD OF.  That is how you recruit.
    GOOD LUCK!

Sara Giambalvo
    Arnold MO

• 12.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-24-2018 16:46
    UGH I meant: "Honestly if you did Charlie Brown I wouldn't be worried about them feeling as though a Junior musical is childish.  Juniors are just shorter."

Sara Giambalvo
    Arnold MO

• 13.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-25-2018 10:16

My biggest issue with Jr shows is that they cut characterization in favor of music.  I really really wish someone would do cuttings a tad longer to enable more character development. R&H used to do this with their Y2K shows but the most recent one I received  also severely edited characterization lines.   At the high school level, I'd think this would be even more important.  I'm sure you also do a straight play so perhaps you feel you are able to train your actors through that.  If Broadway Jr is watching.... How about considering cuttings 70 minutes, rather than 50?  I'm a middle school and still would prefer more depth of character as I'm sure you would as a high school teacher.

• 14.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-25-2018 11:18
    I agree. There should be a junior plus version. And MORE. I’ve done middle school theatre for 35 years and have repeated shows. The Mary Poppins Jr we are doing this year is longer, but almost all music. I understand that most middle school musicals are directed by music teachers, but the more suburban and urban schools have a drama teacher and would like more book.

---------------------------------
    Mary Todd Kaercher

Mound MN

• 15.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-24-2018 16:43
    Your situation sounds eerily similar to mine...
    I am going in to my 4th year teaching, this will be my second at my new school.
    We have quite a few females turn out for auditions, but not many males.
    We did You're a Good Man Charlie Brown last year, with great success, but it did not come without turmoil.  My students had a hard time warming up to me as it was my first year and I was much more strict than their last teacher.  I did not want to put on a failure so I was a tiny bit strict, but not as nearly as much as I felt I should be, because I was afraid of losing kids.
    My students did a phenomenal job, and I ended up getting quite a few people there.  But a lot of the students were Seniors, and I am finding myself with few strong males.
    Charlie Brown is a pretty short show even at full length, so it was easier. But I am worried about the upcoming year.
    What I think I will do is PROBABLY go with either a junior musical, or a short one.  I am thinking "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee".
    My husband has directed a junior musical at a HS before (ELF) and it worked wonderfully.  It really just depends on the show I guess.  I am sure Junior shows are more fit for school audiences anyway.  I see nothing wrong with doing a junior show.  Especially if the kids are excited about the show.  Just don't make it a point to tell them they're doing a Junior version.
    Honestly if you did Charlie Brown I wouldn't be worried about them feeling as though a Junior musical is childish.  Juniors are just shorter.  They still have the main themes.
    Essentially, DO WHAT YOUR STUDENTS CAN SUCCEED AT AND BE PROUD OF.  That is how you recruit.
    GOOD LUCK!

Sara Giambalvo
    Arnold MO

• 16.  RE: "Junior" musicals at a high school? Other options for struggling programs?

Posted 07-27-2018 14:02
    The voice ranges in the Junior versions are for middle schoolers. I’ve directed high school and middle school theatre for 30 years or so. I’ve found middle school kids are far more dependable because they have less in their lives.

I have found the only way to get total commitment from a cast is to charge a fee. In most districts there is a fee for all extracurricular. The fee doesn’t need to be huge...but not tiny either. $50 is a good base.

Also, you could do a Kids on Broadway thing, ie, It’s A Hard Knock Life with a high schooler playing Miss Hannigan, Officer Krupke and others.

We always take a couple scenes to the elementary schools. This is two fold, it I advertisement for the show and for your program.

Being visible in the community is good as well. Find a clever idea and be in the Homecoming Parade, offer mc’s to different events, make being a drama kid a fun and INCLUSIVE thing to be a part of.

Not everyone is a jock. Kids learn the same things (and more, I think) from being in a play, but more importantly making a place and community for kids who don’t fit any place else benefits everyone. You might even find a few gems in those awkward folks.

These are some of the things I’ve done. Good luck.

Mary Todd Kaercher

Mound MN