Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-22-2018 21:53
    Okay, so I've awarded points for the year based on the suggested points in the director's handbook (lead role 8 points, supporting 5, ensemble 3, etc). I just went back to total up the hours actually spent over our ridiculously extended rehearsal process for this show, and I have ensemble members who put in over 130 hours! One of my leads has 180 hours! These are actual hours rehearsed, not hours called.

So, based on the 1 point per 10 hours formula, would I then be justified in giving an ensemble member 13 points for this show? The work was there.

The smallest amount earned was by one of my crew kids, and that was 109 hours. So this would mean that EVERY kid in this show would be eligible for induction upon their second show with me, yes? Most of them are already Thespians, but there are a few who were just a hair short. 

I'm not insane, right? Well, yes, but not about this?

"There's only us, there's only this: 
    Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. 
    No other path, no other way. No day 
    but today."
    -Jonathan Larson
    "Rent"

Disario, Jodi
    Drama Teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org

• 2.  RE: Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-23-2018 07:54
    It is a problem, isn't it?

I try to follow the suggested points per production instead of the 10 hours equals 1 point rule. It is all relative any way you total them as long as you do everybody the same way. n this way, my students end up with fewer points than they would otherwise but we do a lot of shows each year so there is more opportunity to earn them.

For my end-of-the-year awards ceremony, I also total up crew hours and give awards based on those numbers. 

Thespian points include this work, of course, but we recognize those points separately.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 3.  RE: Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-23-2018 08:13
    I start with the recommended points.  If someone has done an exemplary job (learned lines early, always takes great direction, strives to really  make the show the best possible), THEN I award extra points for that show.  And yes, there are times when someone earns fewer points for a show because of attendance, attitude, or effort issues.  Never have I NOT given points to someone for a show (I usually give at least 1 or 2 in the worst situations).  Students seem to either understand or not notice.  But I liken it to a grade on a project.  Showing up and doing the minimum doesn't guarantee full credit, and there is always the possibility for bonus points!

------------------------------
    Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster IN

• 4.  RE: Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-23-2018 08:57
    We have in our Constitution that it is: hrs. & points & # of shows. Each category is mutually exclusive. The only time I make an exception is if they are seniors and short hours but not points or shows.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park,NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-23-2018 10:24
    Good morning,

We use the suggested hours for the production for each student and not the hour methodology. The only time the hour methodology is used is if we support functions outside the theatre productions. This mostly applies to the technical crew but we have had some actors and actresses participate.

We have a lot of our theatre kids who participate in summer stock or other community theatre productions throughout the year as well. This allows them to accrue points based on the suggested methodology.

We believe that by following the above, achieving the levels of honors thespian and international honors thespian, is a much more special achievement.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-23-2018 13:02

We track hours for shows and based points off of that.  We started that when we did The Pirates of Penzance and realized that the police officers, who are only in Act 2, were putting in just as much time as everyone else because of how difficult their dances were, but that based on the points sheet they would only get 5 points.  Now we track the hours and divide by 10, and voila, that's the number of points you get.

It is in our bylaws that students must earn points from two events in order to be inducted.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 7.  RE: Point calculation- am I loopy?

Posted 05-23-2018 17:26

I would give them the points.

Amy Sando,
    Douglas High School Drama
    782-5136

"You've got to paint the picture and then walk into it. And if you ever find you can't paint the picture, just don't walk."