Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Classic Musical Help

Posted 03-27-2019 10:40
    I am working on my 2019-2020 season and I am really struggling to figure out what to do for our Fall Musical. I like to alternate every other year with a "classic" and then a "modern" show. Last year we did The Addams Family and kids LOVED it. Our audience LOVED it. It was by far the most well received show I have done while teaching.

The kids know I am going to pick a classic because they know my pattern and I have had multiple kids ask that I still pick something that is funny. We did Annie the previous year and the kids didn't find the humor in it like they did in The Addams Family. (I also had a lot of senior girls who were upset over casting which I think put a dark cloud over the production.) 

So... I wanted to see what people had for suggestions of a classic show that has a lot of comedic roles that still hold up today. What classic shows have your students loved? Also, I am in a Private Catholic School and I have to be very careful about content. We did the "School Version" of Addams Family. I was looking into The Pajama Game and realized there is an affair happening between two characters which would be a hard thing to get by with at my school. I am also looking into Pirates of Penzance because I think that vocally we could do the show, but I am on the fence about whether or not the kids and our audience would connect with the material. 

Thank you for any input and suggestions!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Nelson
    Bishop Miege High School
    Theatre/Video Production Teacher
    Shawnee Mission, KS

• 2.  RE: Classic Musical Help

Posted 03-27-2019 11:03
    Hi there,

Good idea to have variety year-to-year. We did "The Pajama Game" this year, and if your district can't handle the affair, then they aren't ready for the rest of the script either. I love it, but it's certainly not for a prudish audience. 

Do you have a lot of guys in your program? If so, I think everyone should be introduced to "Guys and Dolls" at some point.

Hope that helps!

Matthew Levine
    Waynesboro PA

• 3.  RE: Classic Musical Help

Posted 03-27-2019 11:30
    Crazy for You is one of my absolute favs!  Kinda depends on your definition of "classic".  Once Upon a Mattress (although unwed pregnancy...), Bye Bye Birdie, I'll put a second on Guys and Dolls.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 4.  RE: Classic Musical Help

Posted 03-27-2019 11:47
    Would your school be okay with Bye Bye Birdie? Or you could look at doing a modern take on a classic with the Broadway version of Cinderella. There are also a lot of comedic moments in Oklahoma that would probably appeal to your kids. I know my kids had fun with the show

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Classic Musical Help

Posted 03-27-2019 12:59
    Cinderella isn't a comedy, but it has a lot opportunities for comedy, especially with the stepsisters.  We did the enchanted version because it seemed the best fit for our students, but you have three versions to choose from. It also drew our largest crowds, and we made even money by doing a tea time with Cinderella a week before the show. Vocally, I don't remember it being too difficult.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance