Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Making a musical film

Posted 11-12-2020 09:41
    Hi guys,
    So, I'm finding a lot of musicals that are available to stream, but with no editing. But, do we know of any shows and publishers that are allowing for filming, editing, and streaming. I really want to create a musical film, not a filmed version of a production. Are any publishers/playwrights/shows really allowing for this?
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Cherie Ducote Firmin
    Mandeville High School Talented Theatre Teacher
    MHS Drama Club Sponsor
    La. State Thespian Co-Chapter Director
    St. Tammany Parish Public School System
    Cherie.Firmin@stpsb.org
    985.626.5225]

• 2.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 11-13-2020 12:42
    The smaller companies like a Pioneer & Eldridge are allowing Record & Stream and allowing Editing

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 11-13-2020 19:14
    Hi Cherie, curious about this.    How long of a work are you contemplating?   What would you do with the finished film to recoup costs?   Are you looking to use students actors?  
    Would you film the songs live or prerecord?

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 4.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 11-17-2020 09:18

It would replace our spring musical. I just want to do something safe (want to film outside as much as possible), and something more fun than just filming a performance on stage (I just don't find those engaging, especially without editing). A shorter musical would probably be better. We are working with the broadcasting classes, so they would handle the sound engineering. The students would record their music ahead of time, and lip sync during the filming. I got the idea from a couple of workshops at ITF this summer. And when I started looking at old clips of Godspell the movie, it got me thinking this would be a safe and fun and engaging solution for the spring musical this year. But, Godspell isn't available for streaming, and my play reading committee isn't crazy about it. Now, we are thinking of writing it ourselves. But, I'm not crazy about that idea. We have written our fall play (which we are also filming), and the process with a big group has taken so long, not to mention zoom rehearsals(which we are doing since we were hybrid til last week, and kids have to quarantine at any given moment).

I'm open to suggestions!

Cherie Ducote Firmin

Mandeville High School Talented Theatre Teacher

St. Tammany Parish Public School System

(work)985-626-5225 (fax)985-626-5298

www.stpsb.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

#stppsleads

STPPS adhere to the equal opportunity provisions of federal and civil rights laws and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

STPPS adheres to the equal opportunity provisions of federal and civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 5.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 11-22-2020 10:13
    Im not sure my musical would work.   It s all outside, written for high school, getting its world premiere in two months, depending on covid, but I have it at 120 pages.    As a general question, for a high school musical, is 2 hours too long?   Most I've seen are around 90 minutes

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 6.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 11-25-2020 17:55
    2 hrs. Is fine for me. Anytime above 120 min. I stay away from. The old style musical was 1:15 for Act 1 & 45 minutes for Act 2

I’d love to see what you have. Are you renting the rights yet?

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 11-23-2020 07:53
    I can only speak for Concord Theatricals shows, but please submit a license request and we'll be happy to ask to see if this is something that can be approved!

Rosemary Bucher
    Educational Theatre Licensing Coordinator
    Concord Theatricals
    New York, NY

• 8.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 12-01-2020 14:51
      |   view attached
    Cherie,
    We have a successful high energy fun-filled family musical that we might be willing to allow filming and editing.  We would need to understand the all the details. We're going to be offering the show free of charge to several select EdTA members once Covid restrictions are lifted.  The show is called Philly and the Dreamer.  Information and music can be found on the website.   www.phillyandthedreamer.com   Attached is some developmental timeline information.  If you have interest, we can chat.  We're out of the Twin Cities MN.  Thanks. John Cal

John Cal
    Philly Developmental LLC

Attachment(s)

• 9.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 12-04-2020 11:11
    Hi John,

Please keep me posted, I love the music from that show!

Sincerely,
    Laura

Laura Rizzo
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Miami Country Day School
    Miami FL

• 10.  RE: Making a musical film

Posted 12-09-2020 13:33
    Hi Cherie,

I am curious to know how this is going for you.  I have found if you dig deeply enough into the licensing companies websites you will find productions that are available with this type of project.  My school is completely remote still so we have to do the musical this way. 

Hope all is well,
    Corey

Corey Wexler
    Drama Teacher/ Theatre Director
    Los Angeles CA