Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Swing from fly system

Posted 12-19-2017 08:14
    What is the safest way to use a swing from a fly system? I want Wednesday and Gomez Addams to sit on swing. He will push her, but only lightly. This would not be like the swings in Matilda.

I have some ideas, but I thought I would ask the community.

------------------------------
    David Tate Hastings
    Olathe South High School
    Thespian Troupe #5006
    Kansas Thespians
    Treasurer & Membership Chair
    913-481-1868

• 2.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-20-2017 07:51
    ​We just fastened a homemade swing to the batten.  I'm not a tech person, but I know they used heavy rope and a two by four to create the swing (and it is currently hanging from a tree in my dad's backyard ha ha) and then both tied and strongly secured with metal fasteners right to the batten.  We just brought the swing in and she sat on it.  He pushed her lightly and all was well.
    Good luck!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 3.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-20-2017 13:24
    I personally would build a stand-alone swing...  my fly has lots of battens, but a batten with a 'swing' would bang into everything else up there!  Your fly space dimensions are key.  

be safe!

• 4.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-21-2017 09:06
    Hi,

There really is no "safe way" to do this. Although battens can carry heavy loads, what you are describing is a dynamic load and is inappropriate for this type of system. 

If you can gain access to your structural steel above the stage, points could be attached and a swing more safely suspended. However, you need to have a rigger do this work.

The idea of having a free standing swing on stage is likely the easier and safer answer.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN

• 5.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-21-2017 17:21
    I used a swing in a production of "Scapin" and built a structure that was supported from the ground.  Using a fly batton to support this is not a good idea because there are many points that could fail due to the uneven load and swinging action.

Christian Garretson
    Towson MD

• 6.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-28-2017 08:14
    Good morning,

Do you have an accessible grid. If so, rig the swing to the grid and use a pulley to raise and lower. Works great. I secured a tire swing for The “Words, words, words” scene in “All in the Timing.” It was well incorporated I. The scene, safe and worked great.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-29-2017 16:40
    Hi,   
    You can "anchor" the batton by using 2 guy lines from each end of the batton off to stage right and stage left.  We tied off to mid rail positions.  Add a pulley to the batton end and pull the swing up and off to the side with a clip-on line.   Have enough weight added to the clip so you won't lose the clip and line up to the pulley.  Also use a Prussic hitch (or something) to back up the brake on the batton lifting line.  
    Keep the swing up in the air to limit the temptation for playing on it.  
    I hope I've explained that well enough. 

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Edina High School
    Edina MN

• 8.  RE: Swing from fly system

Posted 12-30-2017 20:13
    Hi Folks,

My two cents. I have been reading the various posts regarding this topic and think we need to take a step back and think about the topic and our varied levels of expertise, experience and knowledge.

In no instance (including mine) have we spoken about appropriate hardware, terminations,
    working loads of rope (wire or fabric), D/D ratios, etc.. We also haven't asked the bigger questions like describe your system,  has your system been inspected and do you have skills, tools, understanding enough to execute the work described?

We have all likely dodged various bullets in our careers and likely, "it looks pretty strong" worked out. But, that doesn't make it right and isn't advice we would give our students or as an answer to our parents and administrators when something goes wrong. 

By all means, we should weigh in on available technical resources, great tools, audio, lighting boards, drops, projection screens, gel colors, fixtures, costuming, painting and safety; but when it comes to rigging, power tools and electrical work beyond the scope of an installed system, our standard response should be asking where they work and point them in the direction of a local professional.

If we expect to have our work and professionalism acknowledged, we should give the professional response of "I don't know enough about your situation to provide responsible advice".

So David, where are you located?

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN