Open Forum

View Only

Full-Time TD

• 1.  Full-Time TD

Posted 05-15-2018 11:44
    We are trying to convince the administration to hire our technical director as a full-time employee to handle all of our shows and all rentals and other uses of our performances spaces.

I would like to communicate with anyone who has a full-time technical director/theatre manager in a high school setting.

My principal is asking for ammunition to use in this battle. feel free to direct message or e-mail me so I can ask you the few questions I need to ask.

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 2.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-15-2018 12:54
    We are also interested in making this proposal to our school administration in the next year or two. I'd love to see your proposal that you put together!

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 3.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-15-2018 13:19
    Our building manager is our TD.  Her full time job is building manager; then she receives a stipend for being the TD and does that primarily in after school times and during 6th period stagecraft (though that time is both for shows and for the building, so it can get a little confusing on if she's playing TD or building manager at that point!).

I'm happy to help anyway I can, and I know she is too.  I'll mention this post to her.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-15-2018 13:20
    A couple of items:

If you're looking for ideas on a TD's job description, you may want to check out my blog post on that subject, at https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/the-technical-director/

You may also want to take a look at a job description I posted here recently, which was mostly for a Theatre Manager, and which elicited some interesting responses from EdTA members.: https://www.schooltheatre.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=74e88ad9-e19a-4fe3-9f62-7e9f6bf71ca6&CommunityKey=35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1&tab=digestviewer#bm74e88ad9-e19a-4fe3-9f62-7e9f6bf71ca6

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 5.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-15-2018 15:35
    I don't know much about the fighting to make a position full-time because my position was full-time when I took it but some of the insight used to get the position to full time was shared with me.  Hope this helps.

1) Due to the number of events (choir, band, drama (3 productions plus student directed projects) the quality of the work would suffer.  When this position went full time, the production value increased tremendously.  I also run events and assemblies.

2) When this position went full-time before I was here the TD became a tech theatre teacher which opened more arts electives for those who weren't performers or musically inclined. And (a while back) was tied to CTE which also offered a career pathway to those who weren't focused on college.  I currenlty teach some acting classes too but I teach 3 stagecraft/production classes that are purely working on our events and shows.  This gives students "real world" hands-on experience.  Most of the time the drama or advanced drama, etc. classes are a mixture to the teacher is divided focus and true rigor is not met.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 6.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-16-2018 08:02
    Let me clarify: I was looking for people with a full-time TD so i can ask them a couple of questions that my principal is looking for the answers.

The questions are:

1.  About how much does the TD get paid?

2. What are their duties?

3. What does their schedule look like.

I figured this was better done privately than in the forum.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 7.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-16-2018 15:06

I don't mind addressing the issue of pay in this forum. I think it's important that TMs are paid a standard pay rate and that this should be common knowledge. 

When I was first a Theatre Manager in 2010-11 I was paid $28/hr, with medical benefits only. I was hired as a Classified employee. After 5 years of trying to fight this – it's against FSLA - I moved to another school. There I was hired as a Certificated employee (I happen to have a teaching certificate too), and by my second and last year there (2016-17) I was paid around $42,000/yr with full benefits for a 0.8FTE position. But, the teachers there work 7 hour days, so 35 hour work weeks, so 0.8 is 28 hours a week. So, doing a bit of algebra (yay math!), that works out to $60,000/yr, were the position full time. $60,000 seems to me a fair salary for a person who is hired as middle management. 

Be sure to stress to your admin that a manager is an exempt position ("exempt" meaning they are exempt from getting overtime pay because they are salaried – however, they do get full benefits), according to FSLA, and as such the district is not allowed to hire them on an hourly basis with no (or few) benefits in order to avoid having to provide full benefits. 

Following is the FSLA's Duties Test as it pertains to a High School Theatre Manager. 

DUTIES TEST OF EXEMPT EMPLOYEES PER THE FSLA AS PERTAINS TO THEATRE MANAGER POSITIONS. 

Primary duty is managing without direct supervision, and with day to day decision-making authority. 

The Theatre Managers are in charge of managing each theatre facility without direct supervision of an administrator and make day to day decisions regarding operations.   

DECISION MAKING REGARDING WORKPLACE MANAGEMENT

DETERMINE WORK TECHNIQUES

The Theatre Managers determine all work techniques in the facility without input from administration. They create and implement policies and procedures for the theatre facilities. 

PLAN THE WORK

The Theatre Managers are the primary communicator with events (school, district and outside) once they are scheduled, through e-mail, phone and/ or production meetings to determine their needs. The Theatre Managers then will plan the work that students and/or technicians will be doing, based on the needs of each individual event. 

Monitor work for legal or regulatory compliance

The Theatre Managers monitor the facility for legal and safe use. For example, when the orchestra pit is open, signs and restrictions in place in compliance with OSHA regulations, which the Theatre Managers enforce.

Provide for safety and security of the workplace

The Theatre Managers maintain the facility Safety Manual, post safety signs, train technicians, students and all users in safety policies without input from administration.

SUPERVISE EMPLOYEES AND MAKE DECISIONS REGARDING THEIR EMPLOYMENT

SUPERVISE EMPLOYEES

The Theatre Managers will be directly supervising the Theatre Technicians (or paid student crew) for outside events in the facilities.

INPUT INTO JOB STATUS

The Theatre Managers have input into the job status of the Theatre Technicians; they will be involved in interviewing, selecting and any subsequent training needed, including determining termination.   

SET EMPLOYEES HOURS OF WORK

The Theatre Managers create the monthly work schedules depending on the events in their theatre facilities and collectively will apportion the work among the Theatre Technicians and assign technicians to each event at their discretion depending on the requirements of each event.  

APPRAISE PRODUCTIVITY

The Theatre Managers will appraise productivity of the Theatre Technicians as an ongoing, formative part of their job.

You can find out more at: https://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/

As for a TM's schedule – I found I spent more time sitting at my desk than in the theatre! (See previous post with TM Duties listed.) Hence why you want a 'management' type person (TM), not so much a 'hands-on' type person (TD). Actually, you really need both, but perhaps that's for the next battle…

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 8.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-17-2018 14:38
    I think this is a huge issue that many places face. Asking a TD to be part time at a school is insane to me. The amount of time and work that goes into designing, building, maintaining and running a space is way more than part time hours. If the Drama teacher is full time, then the TD should be full time. Add a tech class. Teach students how to use tools, or design sets or lights. But to ask a TD to only be part time and have the schedule a school TD has is just crazy. 

The salary really can't be generalized. Its a matter of how much work, how much teaching, and the location of the place. Different places obviously have different requirements for living expenses and things, so no two places will be the same.  And the nature of the background of the applicant can determine pay scale as well. 

Again, jobs are all different, but if you have a full season, then its designing, building, teaching, running all the different events, plus most likely the other school events in the space as well. 

I think what a lot of people forget is that the TD is part of everything. The Dance teacher runs the dance performances, the drama teacher runs the theater program and the music teacher runs those events, but the TD is at every single one. So any idea of this part time stuff, is kind of crazy when their job, timing wise is busier than any other. Not that those other positions don't to extra work of course, but the TD has their hands in every part. 

This is always a hot button issue for me, and I am happy to continue to discuss this with someone as I have been a few different schools now and have seen many different versions. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 9.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-16-2018 09:38
    I would also like this information. Our tech director has a life-sucking full-time job elsewhere, and still puts in well over 40 hours a week during show season. We have a new principal this year and I would like to go to her with this suggestion. I was considering using the coaching analogy that has been discussed previously- that he is the equivalent to my defensive coach or batting coach or some other sports reference I can only pretend to understand before my coffee.

• 10.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-16-2018 11:55
    Mark, I sent you a message privately.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 11.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-17-2018 14:56

We have 2 full time theater teachers.  One is responsible for teaching Theater Survey (Intro to Theatre), Stagecraft, and Stage Crew.  She also serves as the Theater Manager/TD/Designer for the plays.  She has a reduced class load to compensate for her additional responsibilities.  Also, she gets lots of theater work done during her class time.

The other teacher teaches Acting 1-3 and Theater Seminar, the primary performing group, runs the Thespian Program and directs the plays.

Disclaimer: This message and any attachments are for the intended recipient's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information or otherwise be protected from disclosure by other legal rules. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose or reproduce this message, its attachment or any part thereof, or take any action in reliance thereon. Emails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses. Anyone who communicates with us by email is deemed to have accepted these risks.

• 12.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-16-2018 13:41
      |   view attached

Yay! Yet another high school getting on the band wagon! Congrats! Maybe tell your admin you're just trying to keep up with the Jones High School Theatre… 

Following is some information, not just for Mark (we've already discussed some of this), but for everyone who is in the same boat.

May I refer everyone in the same boat to some previous posts in which I've made some suggestions, attached documents, and made references to some even previous-er posts - all about high school theatre management. 

I am reattaching one doc here – not a 'job description' per se, but a list of the duties of a Theatre Manager. 

Please also see the http://www.presett.org/gold-standard-schools.html page on my website, for some examples of how other high schools run their theatres. 

Also, do you want a TD, or a TM? There's a difference, not only in the duties, but in the mindset of the two employees. One of my posts below addresses this.

Please see attached, and here's the links to the previous posts.

Theater Manager Duties/Forms

Forms galore.

Public us of Auditorium

Talks about event management

Theatre Rentals

Talks about fee schedules.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer

NEW!
    ONLINE TECH COURSES FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS http://www.presett.org/techieacademy.html . A great summer project!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session June 4th (half full, 4 spaces left). Fall session Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

"HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

Attachment(s)

pdf
    HS TM Duties.pdf   284 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-17-2018 16:34
    Just want to emphasize what Beth said above: there's a difference between a Theatre Manager and a Technical Director. Sure there can be some overlap in duties, but basically the jobs require different backgrounds, training, interests, and skill sets.

From what I've read above, and from other posts, I think it's critical to scope out a very detailed job description first, focusing solely on what the school needs -- and including expected hours and proposed salary/benefits --  and then use that job description to sell the position to admin and to help find the correct candidate. The job title isn't what defines the duties: the job description does. That will help avoid a scenario I've read about here often, which is signing up for one job and ending up with a different one at the same salary.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 14.  RE: Full-Time TD

Posted 05-18-2018 13:39

But wait! There's a third part of the equation if this person will also be teaching a tech theatre class. Yes, there is a lot of overlap, but there are specific requirements/duties for the three positions:

Theatre Manager - management position (may or may not work with students directly)

Technical Director - hands-on operations position (possibly/probably works with students directly)

Teacher of a Tech Theatre Class – teaching position (works with students directly)

'Technically' a teacher teaching an actual tech theatre class must be a CTE certificated teacher (like woodshop, culinary, auto, and so on - I can't imagine the school saying, Just let the social studies teacher teach the welding class, it'll be fine...). The Dept. of L&I says that any minor doing the type of labor we do in tech theatre (working at heights, working with 'hoisting equipment', using power tools, and so on) may only do so in a "bona fide vocational program", ie: a CTE class.. And in fact, really anyone working with minors in tech theatre (a vocational 'program' – whether a formal class, working on a play, or crewing for an event in the theatre) must be CTE certified.

As well as writing your job description before hiring someone for the job, as George sagely points out – the plot thickens! - if the employee will be working with students, one of the conditions listed under "Requirements" should be that they have a CTE teaching certificate.

(BTW - it is possible to get a CTE certification coming from the industry route, you don't have to have come from the teaching route to teach a CTE course.  But you do have to earn the certification (usually through a community college). Some states will actually grant someone a conditional CTE certificate if their certification is in progress and they are actively taking courses.)

Here's a couple of previous posts addressing this issue, which you could use to show to your admin so that they are in compliance:

RE: CTE Technical Theatre Certification

RE: English teacher looking to become HQT in Theatre

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer

NEW!

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO