Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fire dept needed?

Posted 12-16-2018 17:19
    Hello! I think I remember this from long ago, - is it true that if you have pyrotechnics onstage that you should have someone from the fire department backstage during the show? 

• 2.  RE: Fire dept needed?

Posted 12-16-2018 19:34
    In more and more municipalities it's not so much "should" as "must," and there may be other requirements too. And it may even be illegal. Definitely contact your local department and get their input before you go any further.

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: Fire dept needed?

Posted 12-17-2018 05:24
    I am sure that every state is different yet I would believe similar.  When doing phantom, we needed to submit a form to the state's fire marshal, pay the associated fees,  Hire a certified pyro technician and have the fire marshall come in and see everything we were going to do. Have the certified pyro technician back stage every time the pyro was used and allow the fire marshal to inspect at any given time.  Every set piece and costume used in the scene with the pyro needs to be flame resistant and stage hands need to be trained in how to use a fire extinguisher.  Extinguishers need to be back stage, ready to use.  We ran six performances and the fire marshal showed up five times.  Not because he did not trust us, but it was great training for his crew.  We passed every inspection.

Derek Anderson
    Teacher
    Calvert County Public Schools
    Owings MD

• 4.  RE: Fire dept needed?

Posted 12-17-2018 08:42

Happy Holidays!

When it comes to the use of ANY pyro, you should definitely check with your local fire department as there is usually a permit process you must complete. Also, check with your district's insurance carrier. Many will not cover any damage as the result of pyro use. My district has banned the use of all pyro for this reason.

Good luck!

Frank Gollon

Theatre Coordinator

Rochester High School