Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Still on The Tempest

Posted 02-26-2019 08:41
    Hi. First, thank you to everyone who gave me such great feedback on the cultural appropriation question back in January. It was all very helpful and we decided to go with creating our own mythical world somewhere in the south pacific. Now less than 3 weeks out I have a shoe problem. Ideally everyone would have bare feet but the teacher and parent in me is just terrified to do that. The girls are an easy fix - nude color lyrical or ballet shoes. It's the boys. Any suggestions that would work with our mythical island world of 300 years ago. I thought about those stick on soles but the reviews are very mixed. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks

• 2.  RE: Still on The Tempest

Posted 02-27-2019 09:32
    In this case, where you want them barefoot in appearance, I would require all my actors to have nude jazz shoes. It is theatre. :) If the boys are somehow embarrassed to wear dance shoes they will need to get past it. And their feet will thank you for requiring it. I am currently doing The Tempest and the only "bare" feet I have are the Spirits, Miranda, Ariel, and Caliban and they are wearing nude soft jazz shoes. I am loving this production, by the way. Good luck with yours!

------------------------------
    Tina Miller
    Leeds AL

• 3.  RE: Still on The Tempest

Posted 02-27-2019 12:59
    We used flip-flops for one of our shows and wrapped the straps with fabric that then came up the ankle and tied. Difficult to explain and I can't find the YouTube video that had instructions.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher