Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lion King Jr.

Posted 11-29-2017 06:46
    We are starting  Lion King Jr. with our Middle level kids. Any advice? Pitfalls to avoid?

• 2.  RE: Lion King Jr.

Posted 11-30-2017 09:35
    Disney will give you a complete production package with many helpful hints.  I did this play with a cast of 220.  Best advice is have a committee of parents and students working on costumes and masks as soon as you have a cast.  The other thing would be to have a basic set with an elevated pride rock.

------------------------------
    Donald Amerson
    Teacher
    Long Beach CA

• 3.  RE: Lion King Jr.

Posted 12-03-2017 13:46
    When we did it, we didn't try to recreate the Broadway version.  We had a VERY limited budget.  We didn't do masks/headdresses or body puppetry at all.  We were afraid they'd look bad, and that our audience would spend most of the show comparing it to the expensive Broadway photos they'd seen.  Instead, I had my students research about different African cultures, focusing on apparel and face paint, and our costumes utilized fabric designs and patterns from different cultures.  We were also fortunate to have a choreographer well-versed in dance traditions from West and South Africa, and who helped my students and I be sure we were appropriately representing each culture and not appropriating them.  My students actually loved doing the research and applying it to the production, and we ended up with a final product that was AMAZING and completely original in design.  To sum-up, don't feel boxed into the what's typically done with this production.

Jessica Shaw
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Alexandria VA