Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School

Posted 09-04-2019 08:25
    I am teaching in the middle school this year for the first time in many years. I am teaching Effective Speaking to seventh and eighth graders ( in separate classes).  My idea is to prepare them for the speeches they will give in Middle School and HIgh School.  Many are uncomfortable doing theatre games but I feel they will need to do something active during the 68 minute period!  THoughts, ideas?   I am teaching introduction, storytelling,  information and persuasive speaking. The final project in seventh grade is a PSA and the final project in eighth grade is a presentation that  is designed to change peoples minds about a global issue.  Thank you for your help
    Cathy

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Middle School

Posted 09-05-2019 08:22
    I also teach Middle School 7th and 8th grade.  I have a bunch of little speeches that the students present to help with the anxiety.  I have a word list story that the students use to write a fictional story and then read to the class, recite the Gettysburg address memorized, Sportscaster, Movie scene, just anything you can come up with to get them in front of the class.  I also do  production for each class and we spend approximately 6-8 weeks in rehearsal and then invite parents to the night time performance.  I teach all the other stuff in between assignments.  These are only a semester classes so I do 4 one-act productions in a school year.  

Hope this helps!

Pamela Evitts
    Teacher
    Lamar MO