Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play Suggestions Needed - 8th grade

Posted 10-05-2017 09:28
    I am in search of plays for my 8th period drama class to read and discuss, and use for design projects. I would love to include some plays of significant literary/cultural/historical impact and am struggling to come up with ones that will be both engaging and middle-school appropriate. My school is very conservative. 

I was thinking of A Raisin in the Sun, but need to take another look at it for language and situations. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

------------------------------
    Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 2.  RE: Play Suggestions Needed - 8th grade

Posted 10-06-2017 07:33
    Hi Dianne,

When I taught 8th grade I used The Outsiders (Christopher Sergel adaptation), FoolsThe Odd Couple (female and male versions - with some small edits), The Diary of Anne Frank, You Can't Take It With You, and Arsenic and Old Lace. I also used Inherit the Wind for some in-class reading and projects. Out of all of these The Outsiders and Fools seemed to be the favorite.

I arrived at some of these selections by speaking with ELA teachers...I tried to align themes/content etc. to the types of material they were reading in English. 

Hope this helps!

Christina

Christina Marshburn
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Williamsburg VA

• 3.  RE: Play Suggestions Needed - 8th grade

Posted 10-06-2017 23:18
    You can try "THE MIRACLE WORKER' about Helen Keller.

Robert Hansen
    Monrovia CA

• 4.  RE: Play Suggestions Needed - 8th grade

Posted 10-09-2017 16:27
    I Never Saw Another Butterfly is a good one. I also like 11 Variations of Friar John's Failure because it introduces so many other literary pieces.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ