Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Graduate program for speech teachers

Posted 05-23-2018 11:42
    My school is looking to add dual credit classes in speech and theatre.  We added a theatre class this year easily because my Master's degree is in Theatre.  I haven't been able to add the dual credit public speaking class because my Master's is not in Communication.  However in researching MA Communications programs, they seem so irrelevant to what we teach in public speaking/debate classes.  Has anyone else been in this boat or found a worthwhile communications program relevant to what we teach?

------------------------------
    Sarah Serbus
    Theatre Director
    Union R-XI School District
    Washington MO

• 2.  RE: Graduate program for speech teachers

Posted 05-23-2018 16:12
    I was in the same boat last year: the local community college wouldn't let me teach a dual enrollment public speaking class because I hold an  MFA  in Acting & Directing vs. an MA in Communications, which they required.  My division chair went to bat for me though, and I will be teaching this class in the fall.  Our local CC gets paid by the state per high school student enrolled, so they ultimately wanted the class to be taught. Not sure if that is helpful, but your theatre degree and skills are absolutely relevant and applicable and should be treated as such.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: Graduate program for speech teachers

Posted 05-24-2018 09:53
    I am having the exact same problem.  But when you think about it, who better to teach speech communications than the theatre teacher!

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Director of Theatre
    Ottumwa High School
    501 East Second Street
    Ottumwa, Iowa 52501