Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student Body by Frank Winters

Posted 04-23-2019 09:43

I'll keep things short - my original draft was more like a three page essay. And this is about the High School edition, which I think is even better than the college edition (both have the same arc, but also have some large differences).

We performed this for our one act play and I can't say enough about how incredible it is.

A group of high school meet in their school theater late at night in order to figure out what to do with a video taken at a party they all attended that appears to show a fellow student being sexually assaulted by another student.

This is one of the rare plays that gets high schoolers right. The kids don't talked in a forced, uber-hip way, nor are they impossibly empathetic or moralistic. They are just kids, many of whom have made some bad decisions.

My students loved this play and connected to it in a deep and personal way. They saw themselves and their classmates in the characters (not necessarily in the actions the characters take, but in the personalities). They also know that the subject matter brought up - underage drinking and sexual assault - is something that goes on way more often than many of us adults may want to admit.

There is some rough language in the play and some frank discussions (though nothing too graphic). It wasn't easy getting permission to make the cuts we needed to make in order for admin to approve it. The playwright is very passionate about his work, and the rougher moments are in there for good reasons. We had a quite a few phone calls and emails going over the cuts. He was generous enough to agree to most of the ones we needed, and our principal was also generous enough to bend a bit too.

It's a brutal play - there is no happy ending and things don't get solved, but I think that makes it even more powerful, since it forces the audience to think for themselves.

For our performances, representatives from a local organization that helps victims of sexual assault and an organization that works to eliminate underage drinking gave presentations, along with our SRO. It was a powerful and challenging evening.

Even if it is too much to perform, please consider having your advanced classes read it - I think they will love it. Plus, it may allow you to have some deep and meaningful conversations with your students. This is a play that can change lives.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Student Body by Frank Winters

Posted 10-14-2019 08:30
    Thank you for your thoughts.  Did you have any pushback from students or parents?  My administration, and the school counselor are 100% behind my selection and the conversations it can bring.  The principal and the counselor have both read it and feel it is a conversation that needs to take place.

Once again, thank you for your thoughts.

Jerry Seeger
    Director of Theatre
    The Sagemont School
    Plantation FL

• 3.  RE: Student Body by Frank Winters

Posted 10-14-2019 10:48
    I think they're partially right about not winning those awards. It's not the kind of show that should call attention to its makeup design. I had the actors take care of their own makeup and they kept it simple. It's not about costumes either, but it could force your costume designer to really dig into the characters' personalities in order to figure out how to show the personalities in a realistic way - the costumes won't be flashy, but they could speak volumes about the characters. 

I had no push back from students, though my program seems to be more actor-focused than others (and our state one act competition doesn't give out awards for tech). I did talk with my principal about what would be necessary to cut in order to make it acceptable for the community, but he was was fully supportive of us taking on the issues in the play. I also had a few talks with the playwright over the cuts - language and a few graphic descriptions - but we found a compromise. 

There was no push back from the community, and I think we created a lot of good will by bringing in the outside groups to speak and by donating all of the ticket sales to a local organization that helps victims of sexual assault.

To me, the larger issue is that of why do a show. Is it to win awards or is it to be part of something greater than themselves? This play can change lives, and I know every student involved in our production, no matter how small their role, if enormously proud of. 

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance