Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Independent Study Class: Directing Movies

Posted 01-09-2020 12:31
    Hey all! 

So one of my senior students is doing an individual class with me regarding movie directing. She is going to college for that and wants to be prepared. If anyone has any ideas about lessons I could teach her about filming that would be great. I have some lessons about directing, but that directing theatre and I'm sure there's a difference. 

Also I know that I want her final to be to write, direct, and film a short film. Is that too much? If it is I can always have her direct a play and perform it during our after school shows.

Either way any suggestions would be helpful!! 

Thanks XOXO

------------------------------
    Kelly Bourget
    Schererville IN

• 2.  RE: Independent Study Class: Directing Movies

Posted 01-09-2020 13:29
    Do you have a TV production class on campus? That would be a great resource to start you off. Directing a short film is definitely not too much. I'd use the requirements and ballots for students who are competing one of the short film categories to give you a little guidance. 

She can also contact the local university and ask them about what they are looking for in prospective cinematography students. There are multiple universities that have programs that she can look into.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Independent Study Class: Directing Movies

Posted 01-09-2020 18:28
    Directing and acting for film is very different from live theatre because telling a story on film is a whole different animal. Aside from blocking, you have to consider camera positions, angles, and movements, as well as the various types of shots, lighting (which is different), the length of individual scenes, how to break down a script for efficiency, and so on and on. And then there's editing the whole thing to tell the story. It goes beyond teaching a few lessons.

There are good books on film directing on Amazon, and you can probably find many of them at the public library. Give your student a chance to learn the subject correctly.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 4.  RE: Independent Study Class: Directing Movies

Posted 01-10-2020 08:33
    She has the whole semester for the class, so it's not a few lessons. I just need a jumping off point

Kelly Bourget
    Schererville IN

• 5.  RE: Independent Study Class: Directing Movies

Posted 01-10-2020 08:34
    Unfortunately we don't; We are a small Catholic school, but I will reach out to the local university and see if they have anything!

Kelly Bourget
    Schererville IN