Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Hamilton, Hamilton

Posted 01-22-2018 19:27
    WE all know Hamilton has been and is the rage.  Please see the questions below and respond.  Thanks
    • How has Hamilton impacted musical theatre education
    • Why do your students think Hamilton is such a "hot" musical
    • How is Hamilton or is it giving life to the history on our country, if so... how

------------------------------
    Ruben Van Kempen
    Seattle WA

• 2.  RE: Hamilton, Hamilton

Posted 01-24-2018 16:33
    Ruben,

1. By fusing R&B, hip-hop, rap, and traditional lyrical musical theatre pieces, Hamilton has impacted musical theatre education in that it uses musical forms that our students are already steeped in. It also takes subject matter that every middle school student learns as dead, dry, and unconnected to their lives and breathes life into the successes and failures of our founding fathers. In the words of James Loewen in his book "Lies My Teacher Told Me", it presents our founding fathers, not as gods who can do no wrong, but as humans who had their warts. This allows us to dream that we too, with our mistakes, can do great things. Add to that the multicultural cast which allows people of many races to see the contributions they have made to making America the country we revere.

2. Read above. These diverse musical genres makes it easier for students to see themselves in a form that since the 1960s has been seen as stuffy, high-brow, and "for adults."

3. I think I answered that above, too. Our patriotic jingoism often reduces our founding fathers to two-dimensional beings who were unscathingly virtuous rather than flawed human beings who wanted a better life for their children. This is something to which we can all relate.

If you haven't read Loewen's book, I heartily recommend it.

Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Teacher
    Natrona County High School
    Casper WY