Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Streaming Past Shows

Posted 04-23-2020 12:38
    Hi, all!  I thought I would share a new project we are working on at our school involving streaming past productions.  It sounds like MTI and Concord are exploring possible options for schools to stream past productions given the circumstances we are currently in.  I'm hoping that they will come up with some solutions for streaming that will benefit our programs, the licensing companies, and rights holders but while we wait to see if that will become a reality, it occurred to me that we have a number of archive videos of past shows that are not under copyright.  We decided to begin a streaming series with those productions for the time being.  Below is a promotional email we put out this morning to announce the series.

We use Vendini for our ticketing system, so patrons can purchase tickets (only one needed per household) online and they will receive an email with a link to the particular video 24 hours before the "performance" starts.  The videos will remain active for 24 hours after that start time.  We have explored a few different platforms.  I wish I could combine the features of YouTube and Vimeo...Vimeo lets you have password protected videos but you can't schedule them to go live/disappear after a certain amount of time; YouTube lets you schedule when the videos can be available but doesn't offer a password option.  We are opting to go with a private Youtube link that will be emailed out to patrons for these performances since we don't have to worry about being too protective with them.  If we get the rights for any MTI or Concord shows, we plan to use Vimeo so we can password protect them unless we become aware of another video platform that will work better.  If anyone out there has recommendations, please let me know!  Best case scenario would be to be able to create unique passwords for each ticket holder.

Anyway, I thought folks would be interested in seeing what we are doing.  I'd love to know if other schools are doing similar things right now.  We all have to be creative in this crazy time we are living in!

This is the announcement we sent out to patrons today:

Dear {{patron_first_name}},
    The auditorium at Floyd Central High School might be dark but that's not stopping us from entertaining our community! Beginning on Friday, May 1, we will begin streaming production videos from our archives. You are invited to enjoy our "Living Room Series," an array of memorable past shows from the comfort and safety of your living room.
    We hope to be adding additional titles when and if the rights become available!

Tickets are now on sale for all May performances! Each performance will be "hosted" by a former student or member of the show's creative team. Mr. Chris Bundy will host CELTIC DREAMS, the first show in the series, via video and will share his memories about the production.

In addition to the upcoming streams of past productions, the current Floyd Central Musical Theatre class will be presenting a virtual cabaret on Wednesday, April 29 at 7pm. Tickets for that performance are also available now!
    Scroll down for the full list of shows and to purchase tickets now!

Musical Theatre Cabaret
    Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:00 PM
    Digital Viewing
    A digital featuring of Floyd Central's musical theatre class talents
    Celtic Dreams: Digital Broadcast
    Fri May 01, 2020 7:00 PM
    Digital Viewing
    A whimsical celebration of Celtic mythology. Written and Directed by Chris Bundy. Performed in 2012
    E.A. Poe, Into the Mind of Madness: Digital Broadcast
    Fri May 08, 2020 7:00 PM
    Digital Viewing
    Written and Directed by Chris Bundy.
    A Midsummer Nights Dream: Digital Broadcast
    Fri May 15, 2020 7:00 PM
    Digital Viewing
    Floyd Central 2016 Production
    Burke & Hare Cast A: Digital Broadcast
    Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 PM
    Digital Viewing
    Conceived by Chris Bundy, Libretto by Jason Roseberry, Music by Chris Bryant
    Burke & Hare Cast B: Digital Broadcast
    Wed May 27, 2020 7:00 PM
    Digital Viewing
    Conceived by Chris Bundy, Libretto by Jason Roseberry, Music by Chris Bryant

------------------------------
    Robbie Steiner
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Floyd Central High School
    Floyds Knobs IN

• 2.  RE: Streaming Past Shows

Posted 04-24-2020 08:32

This is amazing!! I can't wait to hear what Concord and MTI decide to do. We had just opened Crazy For You ... did one show and we shut down. The set and costumes are all still on stage 😢

As for a protected steaming company ... check out anywhereseat.com The ticketing company we use (Ludus) is partnering with them to create a password protected steaming platform. They are just starting up but if you go to their website you can sign up for emails on the progress. 

I love your idea and might just have to try it out ! 

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 3.  RE: Streaming Past Shows

Posted 04-25-2020 09:49

Hi Rob,
    Last year we took our online video courses on the road to a few drama teacher trade shows. The courses are about how to develop an acting career in theater, film, and television. With the help of Sara Kane, a great drams teacher from San Jose, CA, the video segments were turned into teen-friendly 30 minute and 60 minute lesson plans for the classroom. The videos with downloadable lesson plans (also available in a book early this summer) are delivered on a secure platform that's password protected. We pay a pretty steep annual fee to use the platform; however, under today's circumstances I think I can talk my business partner into finding a slot within our current sites to give your streaming shows idea a test drive at no charge. 

To get a feel for the platform go to our landing page at https://www.insidethebusinessofshow.com 

The page is somewhat in disarray because we're adding a fourth course as well as an independent study program for college drama students and high school students who think they want to dive into the very competitive world of acting. 

If you want to discuss the possibility of adding your streaming idea for a test run let me know. 

Best,
    Michael Vezo

Michael Vezo
    La Quinta CA