Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School Play Suggestions

Posted 08-21-2018 14:28
    Hi everyone! I'm in the process of picking a show for my middle school's fall play, but I haven't yet found a script that feels quite right -- and since this community is always such a great resource, I thought I would turn to you for suggestions!

I'm looking for something a bit more sophisticated than the type of plays often written for middle school. I want a play that really challenges my 8th-graders, while still being content-appropriate and accessible for my brand-new 6th-graders -- not an easy balance to strike! I'm often drawn to literary adaptations and scripts with opportunities for both ensemble work and individual characterization.

Other things to consider:
    -- It needs to accommodate a cast of 30-45, or potentially more. (I cast everyone who auditions.) At least 20-25 speaking roles would be great.
    -- I'm looking for a full-length rather than a one-act, but preferably a shorter full-length. Our last two plays each ran 75 minutes, which was perfect. Anywhere in the 60-90 minute range would be fine.
    -- As always, I'm looking for something that is female-driven!

We produced The Phantom Tollbooth last year, and before that we did Circus Olympus by Lindsay Price. Our last two musicals were The Music Man and Seussical. I'm looking through the main licensing websites (Dramatic Publishing, Playscripts, Theatrefolk, etc.), but I'd love suggestions for individual titles that might be a good fit.

If you have ideas for shows that might fit all (or even just some) of these criteria, please throw them at me! Thank you, as always, for being such a great resource!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Berg
    Drama Teacher
    Ashland Middle School

• 2.  RE: Middle School Play Suggestions

Posted 08-22-2018 08:20
    The Iliad and the Odyssey in 99 Minutes or Less-has tons of characters and a comic way of retelling the story of the Greek Gods.

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Wayne NJ

• 3.  RE: Middle School Play Suggestions

Posted 08-22-2018 08:45

Good morning,

The "Just So Stories" is very fun. Tons of roles and a hit with the kids. I have produced it at the middle and high school level.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 4.  RE: Middle School Play Suggestions

Posted 08-22-2018 09:54
    I taught middle school for 6 years, and I wrote plays that could be done by my kids. 

At the risk of self-promoting, I have a crap-ton of plays that will work for you, but I suggest the mythology plays, since middle school kids love that (especially if the boys are into Percy Jackson or Magnus Chase) 

I have the GREEK MYTHOLOGY OLYMPIAGANZA

And (brand-new!) THE NORSE MYTHOLOGY RAGNASPLOSION

Both are full-length, easily cuttable, accommodate an enormous cast, and are available from Playscripts.

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX