Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fake glass

Posted 11-15-2017 07:39
    Anyone know of a source for <g class="gr_ gr_104 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="104" data-gr-id="104">fake</g> glass to be used in a bay window set piece that needs to be shattered and put back for the next show for the climax of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"? Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School
    Jefferson, GA

• 2.  RE: Fake glass

Posted 11-15-2017 17:29
    I use newrulefx for all my breakaway props. They are reasonably priced and fast to ship.

---------------------------------
    Jeremy Riggs
    Director of Theatre
    Blue Valley North
    bvntheatre.org
    ---------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Fake glass

Posted 11-16-2017 11:08
    Hi,
    For the window break in "Noises Off" we used a piece of the cheaper plastic window "glass" that you can buy at the hardware store. It was scored and prebroken into about three pieces, held together with some clear tape. When the actor "broke" the glass he also threw a handful of sugar glass onto the stage. The sugar glass gave the sound and appearance of shards.  

I had the sugar glass because I tried to make the original pane of glass from melted sugar poured out onto a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat baking sheet.  Making my own sugar glass window pane didn't work for me but the combination of the plastic with the handful of scrap sugar glass worked well for appearance and sound.  
    Thinking now, you might want to try a handful of broken plastic before you go to the trouble of melting and pouring sugar.  and maybe a crash box for sound. 

Break a pane :)
    - Bob Sedoff 
    Edina High School
    Edina, MN

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina MN

• 4.  RE: Fake glass

Posted 11-16-2017 15:41
    I would put illusion (tulle with a sparkle) in the window and let the actor bust through it, plus a sound effect of breaking glass.  Illusion is cheap and a new piece can be stapled in every performance.  Much safer, more reliable, and cheaper than any alternative I can think of.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC