Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-06-2018 08:48
    My school system is expanding theatre into our middle schools (finally) and I am in need of some examples of middle school curriculum maps. Our middle schools are grades 6-8 and I need to create a curriculum map ASAP. 

Thanks in in advance for your help! 

Cheers,
    Riley

------------------------------
    W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 2.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-07-2018 11:25

following!

and Walter, Can we be Middle School buds and share successful Lesson Plans :) I'm in my first year teaching 6-8.

AB

Ashley Bishop
    Middle School Instructor
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-09-2018 13:55
    I am attempting to nudge my fellow hs theatre teachers into developing a middle school theatre program. I would love to be included in any and every scrap of information!

Thanks,
    Nancy Bernhard
    retired from Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 4.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-07-2018 11:30
    *following*

Would love to see some wonderful examples!

Thanks!!!

Chana-Lise Wilczynski
    5/6th Grade Drama Teacher
    Lake Forest IL

• 5.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-11-2018 10:56
    Our MS curriculum uses fairy tales for the semester long Beginning Drama course. Students rotate which story, and most cast mates are new each time too. The units focus on Ensemble, Movement, Voice, Characterization (in that order). For the Ensemble unit, their main task is to improve how they work together with rehearsal jobs/roles for each person - they also write their own script based on the narrative of the story. In the movement unit, they must use pantomime/mime to act out their story. In the voice unit, they make paper bag puppets and do a puppet show for their fairy tale - although I'm thinking of trying out a variation for this unit where they would have to add voices/narration to a nature film clip, it wouldn't follow the fairy tale pattern though. The last fairy tale unit brings all of this together and has students 'fracture' the fairy tale in ways they choose while creating distinct characters. I use the time left at the end of the semester to have them explore different drama/improv games. Each student is assigned a game to explain/teach and lead for the class. I find that this unit really helps build up empathy for the job of managing 28+ students and trying to get them to stay on task. It also helps keep them busy and engaged at the ends of the semesters when they are most challenged.

Nickie Alexander
    Odle Middle School
    Bellevue School District
    Bellevue WA

• 6.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-11-2018 23:50
    This is different for each grade level but I focus on these areas....

1. Intro to Drama (jobs, stage directions, ensemble building, sports vs theatre, audience etiquette..)
    2. Movement (walk, sit, stand...ect)/ Pantomime, Commedia stock characters
    3. Voice (rate, pitch, volume, inflection, accents....ect)
    4. Scriptwriting (children's stories, fairy tales, create your own, different genres)
    5. Storytelling (readers theatre, musical theatre, choreography, ...ect)
    6. Tech theatre
    7 History -typically fits into units of study. Commedia with movement and storytelling, Greek theatre with intro and voice, Shakespeare with storytelling.

I hope this helps!

---------------------------------
    Natalie Pass

Cumming GA
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Maps

Posted 06-12-2018 10:19
    I teach a 13 week class for 6, 7, and 8th graders. In 6th grade they learn about audience etiquette, pantomime and monologue performance. In 7th grade, they move to a diet pantomime, Theatre history Greek to Shakespeare and then end with a duet scene. In 8th grade they study speech presentation, directing and Shakespeare to Broadway in theatre history. I teach these units 3 times a year to 900 students. I am always looking for additional resources and middle school teachers for collaboration.
    Debby Shellard

Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL