Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Urinetown-Belting

Posted 03-16-2017 09:34
    I'm looking at Urinetown as my last musical before I retire. I love the show! Saw the original Broadway production and loved it right away. But, the "Privilege to Pee" number gives me pause. It's such a high belting number I'm afraid of doing vocal damage to whomever sings it.

Advice?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Urinetown-Belting

Posted 03-16-2017 12:09
    Such a good show! One of my favorites, and I'd love to direct it again. I had a strong alto belter that I cast as Pennywise, and I was fortunate to have a really good music director who is classically trained and knows how to avoid vocal damage and keep the actor's voice healthy. So I say go for it, but bring in an expert to help coach that actor, even if that expert isn't your full-time music director.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Urinetown-Belting

Posted 03-17-2017 08:21
    Music director here! Don't let the range of Mrs. Pennywise's song dissuade you--it's a great show. Nancy Opel, who is on the Urinetown soundtrack, has a preternaturally high belt. Many people--even those with strong belts--can do what she does on the high-Gs in that part. Your music director should be able to work your actress on the piece so that she creates her own sound for the song. 

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL