Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lesson plan ideas while on maternity leave for Stagecraft?

Posted 11-17-2017 15:57
    I'm looking for some ideas for lessons/activities for my Stagecraft class to do for 6 weeks next semester while I am on maternity leave.  Normally, it's a very hands-on class and the constructing/decorating of the set for the spring show would take place, however, the sub that I think they are giving me while I'm on maternity leave is not a fine arts person, so I'm not comfortable leaving my students doing construction work without myself there to monitor.  Does anyone have any ideas or lessons for what a non-artsy sub can teach my Stagecraft students in my absence?  Any help greatly appreciated.... I'm completely drawing blanks on this one!
    (I only have one period of Stagecraft;  I teach Oral Comm the rest of the day)

------------------------------
    Brandy Brewer
    Teacher
    Brookland AR

• 2.  RE: Lesson plan ideas while on maternity leave for Stagecraft?

Posted 11-18-2017 09:49
    Hi,
    Give the Texas Educational Theatre Association website a look.  They have terrific lesson plans for Stagecraft.

Technical Theatre Curriculum

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxWA4unHz6qofjVxenFxOUdPNElQTjAxaWJzWXdDcndlTFZLT0l6eWU4azI2REw1aDFwdXM

Best of luck to the new mom and  baby,

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 3.  RE: Lesson plan ideas while on maternity leave for Stagecraft?

Posted 11-18-2017 12:02
    Hi Brandy, 
    In our Upper School program, our teacher includes a unit on costuming and sewing. Maybe they could design a a costume for a small doll and sew it by hand. Not too much danger, outside of sore finger from the needle pricks. 

You might also have them read a play and create a scale model for their set design. They could work on the model in class, which can become messy, but is pretty safe. 

best of luck with the baby!
    Tina

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 4.  RE: Lesson plan ideas while on maternity leave for Stagecraft?

Posted 11-18-2017 12:37
    I teach a play production course and have done many different projects with students.  You could read a play together and have student groups develop a creative concept for the production, then they need to be designers and choose a technical area to design and present (set, costumes, publicity, sound, etc).  They could even build a model of each item, or create a playlist/cue sheet/ poster/ etc.

Emily Griffin
    Drama Instructor and Director
    Des Moines IA