Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Acting Coaching Feedback Prompts

Posted 04-18-2017 23:30
    Hi Theatre Teaching Pros,

In a world of rubrics and electronic critiques I'm finding little good old fashioned "Acting Coach Feedback Prompts" to teach Theatre students enrolled in my University Theatre Methods course.  I'm discovering my students don't know how to give, oral/written, coaching or constructive criticism to help students actors with the process of improving their work.  So, I reach out to you, the professionals.  I'm looking for feedback prompts, general critique comments or other resources to assist new Theatre Teachers coaching young actors.  Thank you for your response and collective resources.

------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Theatre Education Professor
    Dixie State University
    St George, UT

• 2.  RE: Acting Coaching Feedback Prompts

Posted 04-19-2017 09:57
    First,  create a rubric, so that your students understand what you want them to look for when they are watching a scene.

I borrowed a word form Bill Ball at ACT in San Francisco: Positation. The point is to teach how to give critiques in a constructive way.

First ask, "What worked?" These need to be observable responses.
    • I could hear you clearly
    • I liked the interaction and connection with your scene partner.
    • The emotional peak was powerful
    Second ask, "What needs work?" The point here is that everything needs polish. Again this should be observable for the most part.
    • Your articulation was unclear.
    • I wish the confrontation moment with your scene partner had been more "all in," you seemed to hold back.
    • I wonder what would happen if you tried a more complex emotion that anger,
    There are a couple of caveats hear. The respondent can't supplant their artistic impulses for the actors'. "I would have…"  Let the artist know that they can except or ignore the comments. That is their prerogative, But the artist being critiqued can't argue; just listen. The only thing that they can verbalize is to ask questions for clarification. 

My wife attended a workshop where the presenter suggested that comments be couched in four ways:
    • I saw… (the observable)
    • I liked… (the positive)
    • I wish… (for a change that might improve the performance)
    • I wonder… (musings on the performance with an eye to improvement)
    I have found these to be valuable. This approach keeps the comments from becoming negative. Interestingly, cooking contests tend to use these techniques.

Two points to remind your students about responding:
    • Respondents that merely gush (such as friends and family), are like cheerleaders at the football game. You're not going to ask them the next play.
    • Critics are respondents who are more interested in their own cleverness than in actually helping polish the performance.
    As teachers and directors we strive to create a safe environment, where students can explore their craft without fear of negative criticism. Negativity crushes the creative spark. Rather we should strive to nurture creativity.

To give you a bit of my background. I have been a professional director and erstwhile educator for 40 years. I have been an adjudicator for almost as long. I currently adjudicate for EdTA's main-stage productions at the International Thespian Festival and am a respondent for the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival programs.

I use Positation as an adjudicator/respondent as well as in my directing and in the classroom. I find it teaches how to give constructive critiques as well as how to take comments about the work.

Hope this helps. If you are interested I teach workshops on this. You can contact me at jvanleishout@gmail.com

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 3.  RE: Acting Coaching Feedback Prompts

Posted 04-19-2017 10:18
    I second pretty much everything in James' response, by the way

When I'm teaching students to critique each other, I'll sometimes insist they use the sentence stems

I notice...(observations about what worked)
    I wonder...(things that were confusing)
    What if...(suggestions for change)

Obviously these do not encompass all of the types of comments, but requiring them to use precise language goes a long way toward keep the critiques civil.  I prefer "what if," to students' default phrase for suggesting change, which is "you should."  "What if" allows students to suggest change without high-jacking the performer's sense of ownership.  

Another strategy that can be helpful is simply having the responder "say back" the story that they saw presented. Often the story that the audience is very different from the story the actors believe they are presenting.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Acting Coaching Feedback Prompts

Posted 04-20-2017 12:18
    Thank you James and Ryan!  These are exactly the ideas in looking for my students.  Anyone else have ideas or documents to share?
    Thank You,
    Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 5.  RE: Acting Coaching Feedback Prompts

Posted 04-20-2017 14:26
    The Artisan Teacher describes a process for 30 second feedback that I have tweaked for my Acting Classes to give Peer Feedback.

There is a cushion - thank you for performing, or taking a risk, or investing in your performance from last class, etc...  This is always awkward the first few times the class does this, but then the cushion gets authentic and becomes meaningful.  They are recognizing the effort the other person has made.

Then the cause and effect - I saw you do this and the effect was.... This can incorporate positive or negative observations.  I like that we aren't just identifying good or bad but are giving feedback about the outcome/communication to the audience of those actions.  Sometimes I tell them only positive or only growth observations today, etc....

Tag - As I watched you, I realized I need to do _______________ to strengthen my own work.  I like this part because it requires the actor to take what they are seeing and apply it to their own strengths/weaknesses.  

My students have found this challenging but beneficial and it's different from anything else they are doing throughout the day so they tend to pay more attention to it.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO