Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-12-2019 08:00
    Looking for good ideas about how to get students, when performing a monologue, to actually occupy the imaginary space rather than just standing and delivering words out. Any favorite activities/exercises?

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-12-2019 09:14
    I like Hagen's fourth-wall exercise as a means for the actor to build skills in creating privacy and comfort. It helps in monologue work because they can envision the person they're talking to, and if the piece justifies movement (most, to my mind, don't), they can do so confidently.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 3.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-12-2019 09:38
    Thanks for the recommendation, Josh.  I take your point that many monologues don't require macro blocking (e.g. from point A to point B).  I was thinking more about small movements and presence within the world of the scene.

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-12-2019 10:55
    Have them try a variation on silver bulleting. They pick the 2-3 most emotionally important words from each line and are limited to those. Then they must use their intention and physical choices to express the rest of the monologue. Once they have those choices worked out have them add the entire line back in and try to incorporate the physical choices they were just using. These will frequently be far too large at this point but then they have somewhere to start and can trim down to what works for them. 

I always tell my kids that they need to have a reason for each movement and each one must be purposeful and specific and it's okay for there to be little movement as long as it's intentional and adds to the tension being created in the piece. I also have them do people watching to notice how movement based we are (I'm assuming these pieces are for are western based culture and not a piece set in a culture where movement is limited).

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-13-2019 07:19
    Shira, like you, I stress the reason behind movement (i.e. not all movement is created equal--nervous fidgeting is movement, but it's not story-based or illuminating.)  My current crop is just not IN their their scenes at all.  There is absolutely no imagined world there.  This is my general 7-8 theatre class, and most have no meaningful interest in acting.  Just trying to find new ways I've shaking them up a little.  I'll mull over your bulleting suggestion.  Thanks.

Ryan Moore
    Royal Oak MI

• 6.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-13-2019 09:02
    Yes, presence work with Middle School students can be very difficult.  They are either totally immeshed in their imaginary world or rejecting imaginary play entirely, it seems.   The presence work we do in Fitzmaurice Voicework sometimes leads to cool discoveries. This work encourages actors to incorporate both real and imagined stimuli as well as real, felt emotion.  Sometimes starting from scratch and trying to create a fully imagined world can be intimidating or feel awkward, but asking them to observe the real world closely is a task that roots them more firmly in the moment. 

For a Middle School group, I would start with a guided visualization that leads them through a day in the life that leads them to the moment that they begin the monologue. This is a solo exercise, but the whole group should do it at the same time.  Start with everyone "asleep" on the floor, then guide them to "wake up" taking time to visualize their environment and take in imagined and real sensory information.   Have them visualize seeing themselves in a mirror or reflective surface.  What are they wearing?  How does the character they are playing resemble the actor?  How do they look different? Encourage them to observe their environment closely and incorporate the architecture of the room, the sound of the heater running, the smell of the old carpet, etc. into their imagined world.  Also, encourage them to incorporate their real, felt emotions into this visualization.  Can the character be sleepy, feel awkward or anxious?  The answer is always "yes". Guide them through the day, what do they eat, who do they meet and keep prompting them to explore the space. Finally ask them to find the moment before they speak and have them really visualize it, then have everyone speak their pieces at the same time wherever they might be in the room.  If they seem amenable, you might ask for volunteers to speak their pieces solo, leaving them wherever they are in space. Then debrief.  This exercise can take 10 minutes or 30 minutes, depending on the level of engagement, but then you will have another tool to help them reconnect with their piece.  Sometimes I play a piece of instrumental music under this exploration. 
    Good luck!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 7.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-13-2019 13:05
    I think it's important to define people-places-things-activities in monologues. One of my favorite examples is the Antipholous monologue from Act V of "The Comedy of Errors." (I perform it in my one-man show "Lot o' Shakespeare.") In about 2 1/2 minutes he recounts the entire action of the play up-to-this point for the Prince. It's the one that starts with "My liege, I am advised what I say..." 

In the course of it he talks about people: his wife, the goldsmith, Balthazar, "that gentleman," an officer, his peasant, his wife's sister, a "rabble more of vile confederates," "Pinch," (in great detail) and "your grace." 

He references places: his home, the street, the goldsmith's (imagined) place of work, "the  Porpentine" (a restaurant), "a dark and dankish vault at home," and "hither" (referencing the trip to where he is now, in the presence of the Prince).

He describes or implies the description of things: wine, a locked door, a chain (necklace), "certain ducats," "mine eyes," "my pulse," and bindings/bonds. 

And, he describes actions (and attitudes): "Raging ire," "locked me out," "witness," "parted with me to go fetch," bring, "dine together," seek, met, "swear me down," receive, "saw not," arrest, sent, returned (with none), bespoke, go in person, met, brought, gazing, feeling, outfacing, "cries out," "fell upon me," "bound me, "bore me," "left me," "gained my freedom," ran hither, beseech, give me...

This monologue doesn't come to life until the performer has a sense of where these people he is describing lived, work or act, where the places are (north-south-east-west) in relation to where he is now, where-or-how the objects were used or manipulated, and how the actions described were acted out or acted upon him physically. Each one of these things contains an impulse for movement, whether or not that impulse is acted upon. I believe we all go through these impulses (either responding to or resisting them), either subtly or broadly, every time we tell a story. We're so accustomed to them, that we rarely notice how much of the rich tapestry of life is captured in our movement.

It also helps to "place" some of these people/places/things/actions at distant, opposing points from each other: upstage, downstage, left or right. It lends a flurry of activity that brings the speech to a hilarious climax.

Best,
    Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    www.moliere-in-english.com

• 8.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-13-2019 08:44
    I've found that having them work on the motion early is crucial to making them feel free to move during the monologue.  Even before they work on memorization, I have them pantomime the story they are relaying to the audience.  It helps create a physical and emotional context for what they will be saying during performance, and I've found they are much more willing to move purposefully.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 9.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-13-2019 09:02
    I do a Laban lesson, and then they choose, at least, two “efforts” to include in their monologue. They have to justify why they chose their particular efforts and how it enhanced their character or the meaning of their monologue.

Sent from my iPad

• 10.  RE: Getting students to move in monologues

Posted 12-13-2019 10:30

Look for the twitch. The twitch of the hand or head, the movement of the foot or leg. These indications that the student has had an impulse to move and have self-censored. You probably see it in class as well when someone has a comment, then curtails themselves. 

Stop them and try this conversation:

Teacher: "What did you want to do on that line when you moved your hand?"
    Student: "I don't know." (which can be highly probable)
       (press a little further.)
    Student: "I wanted to move."
    Teacher: "Then move."
       (They may move a step or two.)
    Teacher: "Don't go part way, go all in. Move until it feels complete."

Sometimes students need permission to follow their creative impulses. They live in a world where they fear to be wrong. Let them know that in the context of a scene or monologue they have permission to be weird, outlandish or over the top. By nurturing the creative spark we encourage we encourage students to be more daring in their artistic choices.

Hope this helps.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA