Open Forum

View Only

Newsies with girls

• 1.  Newsies with girls

Posted 12-31-2020 17:04
    Can Newsies work with girls cast as Newsies along with 3-5 strong guys?
    Thank you,
    Melinda

------------------------------
    Melinda Carlson

• 2.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-01-2021 12:25
    Absolutely yes! Historically there were a lot of female newsies. The MTI guide tells you exactly which male roles in the show may be cast as female. You might have to nurture a few more male newsies to make it work, however. Other male principal roles in the show may also be cast as female.

We cast all of the suggested male to female roles as female and with great success.

Go for it if you can, you will not regret the choice.

• 3.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-05-2021 19:08
    Can Les be played as a girl by a girl?
    Thank you,
    Melinda

Melinda Carlson

• 4.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-05-2021 19:20
    We did not change that Les was a boy.
    But played by a girl? Yes.
    I believe in the notes that come with the script - it tells you where you can gender bend.
    It’s a great resource that comes with your rights package.
    I highly suggest you check it out.
    Kristin Duerr
    Notre Dame Schools of Los Angeles

• 5.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-05-2021 20:21
    Kristin,
    Thank you for responding to me!  I don't know enough about the show and am trying to cast even more girls without making the girls be guys.  Is the Les role one that could be changed to a girl?  It is not one that MTI lists as either.
    Melinda

Melinda Carlson

• 6.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-05-2021 21:07
    You can definitely cast girls as girl newsies in the ensemble.
    Les is a big role and I do not know if it works to make that character a sister to Davey. I personally don’t think it should be changed to a girls role. They are brothers. And my all girl cast was fine with playing the male roles. But historically correct - there were girl newsies. So cast as many as you want. Like one of the lesser parts could be a girl role - but Les is Davey’s brother and that is pretty solid -at least in my view point.
    Look at the other characters for gender bending. That’s what I did and that is what the authors suggest.
    Hope you have as much fun as I did. T was one of my biggest casts - 30 or so students and we had a blast. I ended up loving that show. And I was hesitant. Now it’s a favorite.
    The dancing was daunting but we did it - it’s a dance driven show and we were not used to that. We started rehearsing early and conditioning as well to get it right and build strength.

I’m happy to answer any more of your concerns.
    BTW - my students built the printing press and it was great plus an art student on campus did all the art work. It was a real community effort.
    AND the Los Angeles Times provided me with bundles upon bundles of old newspapers that we covered with vintage copies. It was great,

Kristin

• 7.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-06-2021 11:19

On the MTI Website there is a PRODUCTION HANDBOOK that you can read, without even buying the license (or even signing in)

It explains Newsies and Girls and identifies the roles that must be played as boys (even if it is a girl actor) and those that may be either.  Give it a read. 

It is a truly magnificent document to aid in the staging of this wonderful show.

The principal and featured roles that must be played AS BOYS are

Jack, Davey, Les, Pulitzer, Weisel, the Delanceys, the Mayor, Roosevelt.

The cameo characters are Nunzio, the Goons, the Policemen and Bill Hearst.

Everyone else is gender-flexible or must be a girl.

They even give you the lines that can be changed to support the gender changes.

Robert Forbes

Managing Director

Mountain Dream Productions

250 858 1053

www.mountaindreambc.com

Socialmedia3-horizontal

• 8.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-05-2021 20:39
    I believe only if the girl plays the role as a male. I had a female student identifying as 'they' play Les and they were super. It was a great way to cast a high school student instead of a younger student. Everything possible re gender changing is suggested in the MTI/Newsies production guide available on line. You should check it out. We were even able to feature one of our female tap stars (also choreographer) as jacobi in a challenge piece with Race in King of New York.
    Crutchie was also played by a girl.
    Here are photos: Les, Crutchie, Full Cast, King of New York

Jill Campbell
    ARTsmART Enrichment Arts/Gifted Support
    Director State High Thespian Troupe 5029
    PA Thespian Chapter Board
    jkc11@scasd.org

• 9.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-01-2021 12:43
    I was in attendance at a production of Newsies at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre in Minnesota. Girls were in the production. In fact, I think girls that sing alto would help the ensemble as the range for the songs that the guys sing is quite high - tenor. Go for it!

William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director

• 10.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-02-2021 17:57
      |   view attached
    Absolutely. I did it. (I included a picture) Not only is it historically accurate but it does help with the fact that the score is heavy on tenors. Girls with lower registers really help fill out the vocal parts. It also helps in casting because there are several small women's ensemble roles like the Nuns and the Showgirls who are only in one scene.  You really need something to do with them for the rest of the show. All three of my Nuns were underdressed as Newsies for example. 
    It's a huge cast though with a LOT of characters. Break a leg!

• 11.  RE: Newsies with girls

Posted 01-02-2021 20:30
    ABSOLUTELY! And we did it! Very successfully I might add. One of my favorite shows and favorite casts. We had a blast - all girl cast for this show and my students were wonderful and the show lent itself easily. Granted I had an amazing troupe. Go for it! It’s fun and can work.
    Kristin Duerr
    Director of Drama
    Notre Dame Schools of Los Angeles