awkward way??? For example, if a monologue is about being a rape
    survivor, and I announce that in class, if anyone leaves I'm concerned
    the class may think that person is a rape survivor?? This is a college
    course and students choose their monologue topics based on a "real"
    personal experience with the goal of changing the way people think. Any
    tips on helping make this a safe space?

• 2.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-11-2019 09:09

I personally do not have any tips, but I would recommend looping in counselling services that might be available at your institution. Professional staff there should be be able to offer great advice.

~Dave

------------------------------
    David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 3.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-11-2019 09:17
    Maybe have the students fill out a survey/questionnaire, where they can discreetly let you know what subjects they are not comfortable with? That might make it easier for you to arrange the work/performance schedule in a way that protects those who want it without undue attention.

Dave has good advice too. Have a counselor on call, or in the room.

Personally, I feel that if you predict a subject will be sensitive or divisive, omit it altogether on your own. Publish a list of off-limits topics. There are plenty of theatrical settings where pushing boundaries and challenging beliefs is appropriate. I don't believe the classroom is one of those places.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-12-2019 08:17
    What I do is inform the students of the topics and what day the monologue will be given in class. If the topic is a trigger for the the student, they can skip the class after informing me via email why they will not be in class (I feel uncomfortable with one of the topics to be given in class on Wednesday...). I do not need to know which trigger they are avoiding.

Annemarie Bean
    Director of Drama
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT

• 5.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-18-2019 14:18
    I save my plays with the most sensitive material for the second half of the semester. By the time we get to that point my students have developed a releationship with each other and me. We have an open discussion about the functions of theatre and why theatre artists push boundaries. We discuss some contemporary plays and how they use sensitive material to reach an intended outcome, not just shock.

After that, I give students the opportunity to let me know in writing or in person what might "trigger" them as we move forward in the semester. I use this list to help make decisions. I give individual students a heads up when needed. I don't dismiss things because they are sensitive, I offer opportunities for reflection, I give counselors a heads up, and contact parents in advance if needed.

I have plenty of texts available as alternative assignments, but students would often rather work through issues with the class because we have developed that kind of space.

J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Williamsburg VA

• 6.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-21-2019 10:09
    artequity.org has many resources and also training that can be geared towards your specific needs. If you email Michael Robertson or Carmen Morgan they may give you some pointers. I have personally had training with them.
    Danyale

--
    Danyale Taylor
    Theatre Technical Director & Pi-Tech Club Coordinator 
    The Paideia School, Atlanta GA
    256-506-2031

• 7.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-22-2019 14:25
    I think it might be important to have a class conversation about what makes people "uncomfortable" vs using the word "trigger" or "triggering." For someone who has an actual diagnosis for triggered content, the word and phraseology around it has been much too bandied about. Theater shouldn't make us comfortable! Having said that, I understand that the content and purpose of what you are exploring could be too uncomfortable for some.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 8.  RE: Trigger warning in class

Posted 10-22-2019 18:27
    What about having more than 1 topic in each class - for example, rather than just talking about one topic that could be a trigger for people you could propose 2 options. Rape might be one, and another might be something like Loss, or Rage. Then the students will have an option to work with something that is fitting for them (or avoiding topics that aren´t. I´m a big fan of dramanotebook, I get content from there all the time to work with my drama classes. You might from some other monologues there that can help you.

Heather Carrington
    Pinawa MB