Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Trigger Warning For Poster?

Posted 09-13-2018 10:36
    For our fall show, we are producing Speak by Don Fleming (adapted from the YA novel by Laurie Halse Anderson). For those unfamiliar with it, the play centers around a girl who was raped at a party in the summer between her 8th and 9th grade year. Due to a misunderstanding, she is ostracized by the whole student population who think she called the cops to break up the party, and no one knows about the sexual assault. This all happens before the play starts, and the play is about the main character trying to navigate her first year in high school while trying to process her trauma.  It sounds like a real downer, I know, but it's a great script, there are some funny and really poignant moments, and it ends hopefully.

Anyway, in the play, the main character flashes back to the night of the assault. It is going to be staged behind a cyc and back lit so that only silhouettes are seen, and the scene ends just before the actual assault occurs. I was planning on including some kind of notice on the poster that the play would be (if it were rated by the MPAA) PG 13, and not for younger children. However, a few students and a friend who happens to be a director AND a licenced therapist have recommended that I also include some kind of trigger warning on the poster as well to "prepare" people for the subject matter. Something like "This play includes talk of sexual assault" or "This play depicts a scene in which a sexual assault occurs." Also, is this a thing that maybe could be displayed in the lobby, kind of like how sometimes there are warnings about the use of strobe lights, fog machines, weapons, etc.? I was wondering if anyone out here has ever included such a warning on their posters, and/or if they have any advice to give. Thanks all.

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 2.  RE: Trigger Warning For Poster?

Posted 09-13-2018 11:25
    I didn't know Speak had been turned into a play - I love the book! Who is the publisher?

I'm in a similar situation - we're doing Student Body by Frank Winters (an amazing script, BTW!). For the poster I'm planning on including a line about it having mature subject matter that might not be appropriate for younger audience members. The poster will also say that it's a fundraiser for a local sexual assault organization, so that should make things clear enough. Before the play someone from the organization will speak, so there won't be any doubt as to what the play is about.

Personally, I'm torn on trigger warnings (for reasons that there's no need to go into here) but given that there will be plenty of students in the audience, they need to know what they're getting into.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Trigger Warning For Poster?

Posted 09-13-2018 11:34
    The play has not officially been published at this point. The playwright, Don Fleming, is the former education director for the Seattle Children's Theater. Years ago, he adapted the book into a play to produce at SCT as part of their summer season shows. He secured the rights to produce it from the company that owns the rights to the book. I got the script from him a couple years ago, and secured the rights for us to produce it through the book publisher as well.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 4.  RE: Trigger Warning For Poster?

Posted 09-14-2018 05:33
    I like the idea of a marking about "mature themes," or a suggested age range, but I'm generally against trigger warnings. They inadvertently harm those the warnings are trying to help, an opinion backed by research: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005791618301137. The exception to that rule for me is gun shot use, which seems a bit like yelling “fire” in this age of firearm hyper vigilance. Break a leg.

Robert Lussier
    Drama Club Advisor
    Hanover Area School District
    Hanover Twp. PA

• 5.  RE: Trigger Warning For Poster?

Posted 09-14-2018 09:09

Thank you for being so thoughtful about this! I think that it is important that you value your audience's emotional safety as much as you value their physical safety. If you would provide warnings for strobes, then do the same for mental health. After developing best practices for our community with local therapists and counselors, my thoughts became pretty pro-warnings in educational theatre, and HERE IS WHY. (link to a blog I wrote about it)

The key is to give people enough information so that they can ask questions about what specifically will be depicted to keep themselves safe. Also, I am a huge fan of providing resources to help those who may be struggling with content and to show your community you have treated this thoughtfully. Have you thought about any type of talkback or program insert that provides information about rape crisis centers or hotlines? 

Here are some ideas on ways to communicate content warnings:

• Posters used for advertising could include an informal rating or warning (if you have more information elsewhere, like websites, you may be safe with just a rating)
    • Content warning posters in the lobby
      • As an option: a poster in the lobby that has a lift-the-flap warning so that those who would need the warning have access to it
    • Content warning signs at the box office and will-call
    • Content warnings and informal rating on your show's website page
    • As part of the pre-show announcement
    • In your program
    • Facebook event descriptions
    • Information on available resources to help audiences process their emotional reaction
    • Train your box office staff to be able to answer questions about show content because they are often the first representatives of your theatre your audiences will interact with.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 6.  RE: Trigger Warning For Poster?

Posted 10-24-2018 19:42
    My school just did a production of The Crucible and we had to make a similar warning about the hanging. I would suggest putting a trigger warning on there and saying if someone wants more detail they can talk to the director. Hope that helps!

Gwendolyn Robb
    Maplewood MO