Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Homeschool Thespians?

Posted 01-10-2018 12:21
    I have a student who is currently an active member of my Junior Thespian Troupe.  Beginning next year, she will be homeschooled, but has made arrangements to participate in my feeder high school's extracurricular theatre program.  I  am not sure if she is being independently home schooled or if it is through the districts independent, computerized program.  Is she eligible to be a member/participate in the school's Thespian troupe if she is homeschooled?  What are the rules on that?

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Jason Coats
    Kansas City MO

• 2.  RE: Homeschool Thespians?

Posted 01-11-2018 06:06
    In the State of Ohio, where I am located, we are legally obligated to provide access to extra-curricular activities for home-schooled students who live within our district. 

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 3.  RE: Homeschool Thespians?

Posted 01-11-2018 08:54
    Same in Iowa as in Ohio.  If you are even more concerned, check with your athletic/activities director.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: Homeschool Thespians?

Posted 01-11-2018 07:58
    Good Morning,

Great question!

I have had a number of homeschooled thespians in Florida. EdTA and ITS rules allow for them to be included in a troupe. I have also had the occasional student from another school where there was no active thespian troupe. They are sometimes called "orphaned Thespians" and you can adopt them as long as there is no active troupe at their school.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers,

William J. Eyerly, Ph. D, Ed. D
    Director of Fine & Performing Arts
    Canterbury School
    Executive Director
    Gainesville Association for the Creative Arts
    Fort Myers, FL

• 5.  RE: Homeschool Thespians?

Posted 01-11-2018 11:44
    In Ohio if a student is in an online or homeschool program and their local public schools offers an activity or sport, they must be allowed to tryout or participate. If their local public school does not offer it, if the border districts have open enrollment agreements, they may accept those kids. 
    The HS principal or student services admin should know if your own does not.

Kati

• 6.  RE: Homeschool Thespians?

Posted 01-16-2018 11:36
    Hi, Jason

As the previous posts indicated, rules for incorporating home school students into a theatre program may vary from state to state and school to school. The guidelines for determining ITS troupe affiliation are available in the Appendix 3 of the Thespian and Junior Thespian troupe handbooks provides the guidelines for determining ITS troupe affiliation. Here's a quick link: https://www.schooltheatre.org/internationalthespiansociety/troupedirectors/troupehandbook#9.

If you have questions about specific cases, please feel free to contact me by email at members@schooltheatre.org.

Hope this helps!

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association