Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 05-25-2017 10:00
    I'm seeing so many great things about this play on this forum and it sounds like something I might like to do in the fall.  I see that it is a "full-length play" -- can someone who has done it tell me what the approximate running time was? Is it a two-act play?  Can it be performed without an intermission?  And exactly how expandable is the cast?  I usually have to accommodate anywhere from 20 - 30 kids -- is that possible with this play?  Would you describe it as a straight drama, or are there comic moments?  And finally, is it appropriate for (very sophisticated) middle school students?

My rehearsal time is limited for the play in the fall, so I generally gravitate towards plays that are not quite so long.  90 minutes max. But if something really grabbed me I'd be open to taking on something more challenging given the time we have to rehearse.

So if anyone can answer those questions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Susan Sterman-Jones
    Grace Church School, NYC

• 2.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 05-25-2017 11:38
    Our production was a little over two hours, with a fifteen minute intermission. Yes, it is two acts, and IMO, is too long to not have an intermission. There is a one-act version, though I haven't read it.

We had 23 students in the cast, though some had very small parts (there are some crowd scenes, so the smaller roles did have some more stage time). We doubled some of the smaller roles - I think there are 35 speaking roles, though some are just one or two lines.

There are some humorous moments, but I would call it a straight drama. I think very mature middle school students could do it justice, though it might be tough (maybe the one-act version would be better for them?). I don't think there's anything in it that would make them uncomfortable - there's not really any "adult situations".

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 05-25-2017 13:26
    This should help: https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/radium-girls

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 4.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 05-26-2017 07:37
    Radium Girls is a wonderful show, and it offers a lot of possibilities for cross-curricular work with English, Science, and History classes.  The play is traditionally done with actors playing 2-4 parts with a cast of 9 or so actors. It is easily expandable to 20 or so.
    D.W. Gregory, the author, has also written a competition verson of the play that runs 60 minutes. That might better meet your needs.
    I have some serious reservations about trying it with middle school kids, sophistacated or not.  It is an adult play with very serious subject matter. 

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 5.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 05-28-2017 11:03
    1. I echo Robert--lots of opportunity for cross-curricular connections and teaching, if you have colleagues who want to work with you. And, indeed, done well the show is quite serious and moving. Subject matter may prove too challenging for middle schoolers. My high school cast was rather drained after production but very grateful for the experience.
    2. The audience also needs a moment to break and digest--eliminating an intermisssion would be a mistake. There is also a resurgence of interest in the scientific community in the work of Marie Curie and, I believe, a relatively new book about the "girls" and their legacy: Radium Girls: the dark story of America's shining women. Also see Radium Girls, women and industrial health reform. 

Deborah Frauenholz
    Drama Director
    Avonworth High School
    Pittsburgh, PA

• 6.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 06-16-2017 23:44
    Hi Susan!!

I am actually currently doing Radium Girls competition version. DW Gregory has written a 60 minute version with an option to cut for 40 minutes (which is what we are doing). We will be performing on Friday, June 23rd at the Howell Theatre at ThesFest for the Chapter Select Showcase. 

We have had great success with the show this year. We were able to do cross curricular work with the science and history departments. I'd be happy to share our experiences with it. I cannot recommend this show enough. Truly beautiful script.

Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director
    Northwest Rankin High School
    Brandon MS
    Troupe 5727

• 7.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 09-18-2017 16:43
    I am performing Radium Girls this year! Is their any way someone can scan and send me page 14 & 15 from the competition version?
    I really cannot order another thing and have somehow lost these pages.
    lquinn@pcti.tec.nj.us
    Thank you!

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Wayne NJ

• 8.  RE: RADIUM GIRLS questions

Posted 07-02-2017 09:05
      |   view attached
    Radium Girls was our Nov '16 production, and it was WONDERFUL.  Lots of doubling detailed in the script, but we expanded our cast by not doubling everything (I've attached a screenshot).  We also had an ensemble of 6 (3w, 3m) who were in the crowd scenes, courtroom, Women's Club...they doubled as our crew to seamlessly transition between scenes.

We were offered a one-hour cutting for the state thespian conference, and we used Gregory's competition version.  In some ways, the competition version is superior to the full length.  The full length can lag if you're not careful, and runs around two hours, perhaps a little longer.  

I highly recommend this show.  As for using it with middle school actors -- that's a tough one.  It's a pretty mature drama, and I know my actors really grew this past year as they tackled the complexity of the characters.  

Shelly Riggs
    Logan OH