Open Forum

View Only

Musical without romantic leads

• 1.  Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-12-2018 11:24
    Good morning,
    I'm looking for a musical that does not involve romantic leads.  Unfortunately my two strongest vocalists are siblings!  (Actually they are twins) This is their senior year and are very much looking forward to being leads instead of supporting and they really don't want to have a romantic story line.  Ideas???  Thanks so much!!

------------------------------
    Karin Neal
    Forensics/Debate Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS

• 2.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 03:20
    The Wiz
    The Wizard of Oz
    Damn Yankees (if they are cast as Applegate and Lola)
    Into the Woods (as long as they are not cast opposite each other)
    Curtains (as long as they are not cast opposite each other)
    Spamalot (same thing)
    Godspell
    Oliver!
    West Side Story (if they are cast as Riff and Maria or Tony and Anita)

There must be more - possibly a Rodgers and Hammerstein as long as they are not cast as the love interest opposite each other (one as Laurey and the other as Will in Oklahoma, for instance - I don't know their voice types). I also don't know what you've produced recently.

Best wishes!

• 3.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-14-2018 10:00
    Male/female twins? You should be doing 12th Night. If you have to do a musical, try Illyria.
    https://www.theatricalrights.com/show/illyria/

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 4.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 12:32
    Annie is a safe bet. Annie and Warbucks play father and adopted daughter.

The Wizard of Oz and The Wiz have no romance as far as I can remember.

Have you considered a show with two pairs of romantic leads and keeping the siblings in opposite pairs? Guys and Dolls for example: Could your young man play Nathan and be paired with another actress as Adelaide, and can your young lady play Sarah and get paired with another actor as Sky? Or In Addams Family could he play Gomez, the father, and could she play Wednesday, the daughter? Once Upon a Mattress: she could play Winifred, he could play Sir Harry. So on and so forth. Good luck!

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 5.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 14:08
    I would also recommend 9 to 5, The Wiz, The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan (maybe), Joseph, Sweeney Todd, Billy Elliott, Hairspray, In The Heights, Mame, Tommy.

Good Luck!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 6.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 15:07
    Good morning,

We have two suggestions that you might be interested in. We are currently in rehearsal for the "Tails of Hamelin"  a brand new musical from London's West end. Script and music are fantastic. It is very appropriate for all. In January we produced a delightful and fun musical called "Little Stars" from Australia. An adaptable musical for a large cast. 
    Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. 

Good luck,
    Margaret Watt
    Mountain Dream Productions
    Victoria, B.C.

Margaret Watt
    Victoria BC

• 7.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 16:22
    Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

--
    Rob Gentry
    Director of Theatre
    Perrysburg High School
    13385 Roachton Road
    Perrysburg, OH 43551
    419.874.3181 ext 5105
    Confidentiality NoticeThis message may contain student personally identifiable information that is confidential. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email message in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at 419-874-9131. Please also delete the message from your computer. Thank you.

Confidentiality NoticeThis message may contain student personally identifiable information that is confidential. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email message in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at 419-874-9131. Please also delete the message from your computer. Thank you. 

• 8.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 16:27

Urinetown 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 9.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 20:30
    HONK! is a charming musical of the story of the Ugly Duckling.  Ugly dances with the swan but they don't kiss.  My Fair Lady -but you'll need a more strong males.  Cats?  Sweeney Todd.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 10.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 21:16
    I see you are at a Catholic School, so I am going to assume you are going for very modest, family style productions.  IF your school is like mine, you need something for 20+ kids.  We have done these shows recently or are looking at them for next year, which would probably work for your twins:

• Seussical       JoJo can be male or female, Horton is a fabulous character, as is the Cat.  Maisy LaBird, Gertrude, or Sour Kangaroo have some great solos.
    • Oklahoma    Laurie and Curly are romantic, but Will Parker and Ado Annie are also great characters, as is Aunt Eller.
    • Mary Poppins  - Mr Banks is a great character. 
    • Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka  
    • Cinderella     Maybe? Prince Charming and the Fairy GodMother. We did this one the old RnH version, not the new one: Cinderella 
    • The Wizard of Oz
    • Oliver!  Nancy is a fabulous part 
    • Annie  if she doesn't want the part of Annie, Hannigan is a fun part

Theresa Bell
    Zillah WA

• 11.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 23:25
    Thank you all!  Such great ideas, I'm sure one will work:)

Karin Neal
    Forensics Coach and Theatre Director
    Trinity Catholic Jr. Sr. High School
    Hutchinson KS

• 12.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-13-2018 23:47
    The show that immediately comes to mind because I produced it a few years back and the students remarked on this topic is ANYTHING GOES. While it is certainly a romantic comedy, the male and female leads (Reno and Billy) are not interested in each other romantically. Although Reno seems to have a passing fondness for Billy at the top of the show it doesn't seem to be much more than friendship and he is certainly smitten with Hope Harcourt throughout. Meanwhile Reno sets her sights on Sir Evelyn. Both Hope and Sir Evelyn are supporting characters. So this is an unusual musical in which the male and female leads are romantically linked to other supporting characters.

JOSEPH. & THE AMAZING TECHICOLOR DREAMCOAT definitely comes to mind with the two leads being The Narrator and Joseph. Same goes for PIPPIN with THE LEADING PLAYER (played by a woman as it was in the last B'Way revival) and Pippin. 

And finally, if your girl can play younger than her brother try THE SECRET GARDEN where the lead characters are Uncle and Niece. Or if your boy is more of a character actor try OLIVER! where they could play Nancy and Fagin. 

Good luck!

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 13.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-14-2018 07:32
    The show that first comes to mind is

WORKING

Which ended up being a cast, director, and audience favorite when we did it.

I second:

HONK!
    Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka
    The Wiz

All very different shows... Good luck!

Amber Perkins

• 14.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-15-2018 06:23
    Amber-
    Just wondering, when you did Working were you able to get permission to remove/substitute something for the number of f-words in the script?  Or is your  community okay with that?

Considering this for next year, but that is a problem.

Thanks,
    Holly

• 15.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-14-2018 08:04
    Not that I've ever done it, or am that familiar; but doesn't Sideshow star conjoined twins?

--
    Hillary Bogers
    Theatre Director
    Jack Britt High School
    910-429-2800

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, re-transmission, copying, or reliance on the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the correspondence immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this email may be subject to disclosure to any third party upon request, including the media. It shall not be necessary to disclose: 1) E-mail correspondence which does not constitute a Public Record as defined under N.C.G.S. §132.1 or; 2) a public record which is exempt from disclosure under other applicable State or Federal law.

• 16.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-14-2018 09:22
    High School Musical, Sharpay and Ryan Evans! They are twins!

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 17.  RE: Musical without romantic leads

Posted 05-15-2018 09:35
    INTO THE WOODS, with the added perk that the Baker and Rapunzel are siblings (if you were to choose to go that way in casting).

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL