Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-13-2017 06:17
    There always seems to be great suggestions here, so I'm going to ask.  I am looking for a small cast play, preferably comedy, cast of 4-6, but the ability to expand.  I have 3 boys and 3 girls.  I am restarting the drama group at my current school, and this is what I have currently.  We had tried to do a show at the beginning of the year, but I lost my two leads.  I am restarting, giving the kids that stuck it out automatic roles, but holding auditions if there is anyone else who might be interested who didn't show up the first time.   We have very little money, but we have some very willing kids, and I have a lot of stock for costumes, etc.  I would prefer low tech, just to keep it simple.  I have a few  in mind, but I would love some expert recommendations.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Miguel
    Hampton, VA

• 2.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-13-2017 15:03

David Ives has quite a few plays with small casts. Most are 10 minute plays, but can be played sequentially with the same cast, with costume changes. They are quirky, funny plays which would be good reward for hard working performers.

Rebecca Fahning
    Theatre Teacher
    Las Vegas NV

• 3.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-14-2017 06:53
    I also agree that there are many 10 min plays that you could string together for one performance. I also highly recommend the comedy "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)" or any of the other "Abridged" plays by the Reduced Shakespeare Company. They were originally written for three performers, but the casting is easily expandable and gives everyone a chance to shine. And best of all: you can tie it into the school curriculum!

Lynn Glener
    M.A. Applied Theatre Candidate, CUNY School of Professional Studies '19
    B.A. Theatre/Theatre Education, SUNY Potsdam '16

• 4.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-15-2017 18:47
    Yes, a ten minute play festival can be a lot of fun.  Heuer Publishing has a lot of scripts and most of them can be read online. We have everyone read some plays and then students who like a script present it to the Troupe as an option for the showcase, we vote and then we go into production.  The showcase approach allows for student directing and can be expanded or collapsed as needed to fit your Troupe size.  Students can play multiple parts, it can be a lot of fun. 

If you're looking for something larger, Joseph Zettelmaier's It Came From Mars is on my short list.  Looks like a lot of fun.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-19-2017 15:33

Having been in a similar boat we looked at "Check, Please," and "Subtext" from playscripts, among others. We chose "Penny for your Thoughts" by Scott Haan from Eldridge Plays and are all pretty excited about it. It's a slightly larger cast than what you have described. Playscripts probably has some options for you. 

I read SOO many plays looking for something for this spring, but my mind is blank at the moment. 

Things my Mother Taught Me
    Play On!
    Kimberly Akimbo
    I Loved, I lost, I made Spaghetti
    The Iliad, The Odyssey, and all of Greek Mythology in 99 Minutes or Less

There are also some good Neil Simon you might look at.

We did Almost, Maine last year and it was super successful.

Good luck!

Rebecca Rajswasser
    Teacher
    Ocala FL

• 6.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-14-2017 10:33
    Almost Maine.  

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 7.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-14-2017 12:27
    Almost, Maine could probably work. There is a middle school version. Most scenes are two or three actors.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Looking for a small cast play

Posted 01-15-2017 08:22
    The Dining Room 3F/3M
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    Dramatists remove preview
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    A brilliantly conceived and richly humorous theatrical tour de force (and Off-Broadway success) in which six (or more) performers portray a wide array of diverse characters as they delineate the dying lifestyle of wealthy WASPdom, and the now neglected room which was once a vital center of family life.
    View this on Dramatists >

Unsinkable 2F/2M
    Unsinkable}
    Playscripts.com remove preview
    Unsinkable}
    Unsinkable | It's April 15th, 1912, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Harland and Claire Wydner-Doyle have just been informed that the ship they're standing on, the unsinkable Titanic, is in fact...
    View this on Playscripts.com >

Daniel Barrett
    Theater Director
    Faith West Academy
    Katy, TX