Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Performance HELP!

Posted 09-29-2020 09:37
    For our fall show, we are going virtual (like most theatre!)  But I have not idea how to pull it off.  I am directing Quaren-Teens by Laurie Allen.  This is a royalty free play, so I don't have to worry about that aspect.  It is a compilation of 15 monologues from the teens' perspective in the pandemic.  I am planning to have the students perform the monologues on our stage (no audience) and film it.  This will allow me (and me tech crew) to have more control over lighting, sound, and set.  The monologues will then be edited together into a one hour video production.  I am hoping to then upload and stream the completed show.  I would like to have three virtual "performances".  What would be the ideal way to do this?  Or would it be better to stream the show live and  have the actors perform it the three nights?  Thoughts?  Tips?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Virtual Performance HELP!

Posted 09-29-2020 10:16
    Much of it depends on your your access to video production equipment and editing skills. If it is truly royalty free, you avoid many issues groups are currently experiencing with being held to certain platforms for streaming and ticketing. You will want to consider how (if?) you will monetize the production. Will you sell tickets and convey a link to a stream? Will you just request donations? 

Streaming or recording could be just as simple as a single camera (even from a phone or tablet), all the way to a multi cameras shoot. If you are new to it, it might be best to record it and upload it as opposed to a live stream. Fewer technical issues to worry about.... and we all need less to worry about :-) You could set up a YouTube account and upload the recording to that. Keeping links private. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI