Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice on Casters

Posted 11-09-2017 16:12
    Anyone have success with buying casters that are QUIET? I heard that neoprene rubber is quiet, but I haven't used them. I was looking at hospital grade casters as well. I thought I'd get some input before purchasing, since I'll be buying quite a few. Do you have a recommended place to purchase them?

------------------------------
    Jody Hanna
    Newport OR

• 2.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-09-2017 21:45

Rosebrand casters. Used them for years, never heard them. 

http://www.rosebrand.com/product2953/4-Soft-Rubber-Wide-Blue-Swivel-Caster.aspx?tid=2&info=casters

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-10-2017 10:00
    The key is to find casters where the ball bearings ride in a closed system.  Generally, casters one can get at the home store have open bearings and the seat of the caster is not firm-- this leads to rattling.  It makes a lot of sense to just spend the money on commercial casters since they last for years and years; and yes, Rose Brand sells some as well as Granger, etc.

All is not lost, however, if all you've got are casters from the lumber yard a few steps can help a lot-- use "caster dogs" --  mount the casters squarely onto the dog, bolt the dog to the platform with a sheet of 20 pound roofing or tar paper between the caster foot and the dog and between the dog and the platform; grease the bearings before each show; the bolt actually squeaks a lot as well, so we put a little grease on the bolt before attaching the dog to the platform-- clean the hair and carpet form the axle and grease that as well; lastly, check the corners of your platforms-- re-glue and or install glue blocks as needed---  those steps can help a lot and once you get it all set up, it's easy year to year.... takes like 5 minutes.

A lot of the rattling comes from uneven distribution between the casters and the floor and the caster dog helps keep all of this even.  It also helps to try to plan your design so weight is evenly distributed along the length of the wagon.

Hope all of that helps.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-10-2017 14:35
    Thank you so much for your advice! The casters we have rattle (and squeak) a lot and I'm sure they came from the local hardware store. I've just used them because it is what I inherited. This year I decided that this was a problem worth fixing. Someone told me that all wheels rattle and that I couldn't really fix it. I knew that couldn't be the case!! I'm going to buy new ones, but I love that I have a way to fix the ones I already have, if I need more. Thanks again!

Jody Hanna
    Newport OR

• 5.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-10-2017 07:23
    Find a local material handling equipment supplier and talk with them. They will be able to discuss with you all of your needs and budget constraints. You can talk about your load requirements, wheel size, the type of floor, attachment points, etc.

Maury Hancock
    Richmond VA

• 6.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-11-2017 15:41
    Hi Jody

Casters always seem to be an issue, especially in theatre where we want to best quality for the lowest price.  Many years ago, I befriended a caster saleperson, Mike Hyland, and we went on an adventure to find the best caster for the money.  We found a unique combination of super quiet, sturdy, reasonably priced casters, and he began to stock them.  Now, he does a pretty good business in them, and I use them exclusively.  

The company is Access Casters, and you can find them on the Google.  Look on the left of the main page and select "Theatre Casters".  My main workhorse is a 3P30PST - 3"x1-1/4" polyurethane wheel / ball bearing caster / ball bearing swivel / 240 lb capacity / super quiet / $9.91 each.  The rigid version is only $7.87 each.  You can step up to a quieter ride for $14.92 each with the 4A02XS 4" swivel - 300 lb capacity but a taller form factor.  They have tons of other theatrical caster choices, but for scenic casters, those are my main pick.

I will also the advice mentioned earlier that caster placement is important.  Consider your tributary area and how the forces are going to be placed on the wagon, and then distribute the casters accordingly.  The casters should also be mounted so that they support the frame of the wagon, and not bolted to the lid.  

I hope this helps :-)

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois

• 7.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-11-2017 16:37
    Thanks for the vendor referral-- will definitely have to try them.

I thought some pictures might be useful.  Ironically, we were doing this very thing this weekend at our tech day.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 8.  RE: Advice on Casters

Posted 11-13-2017 12:14
    I really appreciate the specifics and vendor info! It is super helpful when you haven't purchased before. This has become a matter of sanity. It about puts me over the edge during every show! I like to change scenes as the action is happening and loud casters restrict my ability to do so.
    Thanks for the pictures, Michael. I am going to do that. Ours have always been attached to the lid. I run a community theatre company (as well as teaching at our local high school) and I share wagons with 2 other companies. I have just used what everyone else uses. I decided that I was going to buy my own casters now though, because no one else seems to care about this and I REALLY do.
    Thanks again!!

Jody Hanna
    Newport OR