Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Death by Dessert Length

Posted 03-15-2019 19:38
    Hello!

I am staging the murder mystery Death by Dessert right now. It will be in a theater, not as dinner theater. I know it can be staged as both. I know the show is short, but it seems really short. The script says the run time is 75 minutes. Has anyone staged this show before? What was your running time? Any tips? 

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Fredreka Irvine
    Teacher of Theater Arts
    Carlsbad CA

• 2.  RE: Death by Dessert Length

Posted 03-16-2019 11:40
    We performed this show in February. Students had a lot of fun with it and it was super easy to stage. The play itself is very short---about 30 minutes.  The 75 minute length definitely includes dinner.  We did a dinner theatre and basically extended the decor from the stage to the audience using the red and green color scheme. 

We started dinner 30 minutes before the play started.  At the end of Act 1 we gave instructions for voting on the murderer and during intermission the audience voted and we served dessert.  The actors even came out during intermission and interacted with the audience in character--so much fun! Act II only takes about 10 minutes to finish the story.

If you've ever considered doing dinner theatre, this show was built for it. You may want to consider moving your performance location to accommodate. It was a lot of fun and the audience loved it. Good luck with your show!

Julie Dukes
    Fleming Island High School
    Fleming Island FL

• 3.  RE: Death by Dessert Length

Posted 03-16-2019 11:46
    A few rehearsal pictures

Julie Dukes
    Fleming Island High School
    Fleming Island FL