Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recruiting for involvement question

Posted 02-24-2018 17:25

Hello!

I am director of a very small program in a small private k-12 school.  I am looking for you favorite, effective recruiting activities.  We are a very sports heavy school, and our students participate in several activities at one time.  Right now our big"shows" are all done as extra curricular.  Smaller shows are done by the drama class.   I am open to ideas in a curricular or extra curricular setting.  I know some of you started in a similar situation, so I look forward to your input.

Thank you.
    Ronda

1503086114339_RondaGrundy.png

• 2.  RE: Recruiting for involvement question

Posted 02-25-2018 12:06
    Hi Ms. Grundy,
    So glad you're looking to expand your program.  Here's how I and some other colleagues did it at our respective schools:
    Step One: As class projects, have the kids perform scenes and songs from familiar shows and movies.  This will both inspire them and make the work accessible.  Then arrange for performances for other classes during the school day and perhaps for an evening or two for parents.
    Step Two:  Establish an "Advanced" class which will feature your most experienced and dedicated actors; those kids that may not necessarily be involved in sports or other activities.  These kids can focus on more intense plays and performances that can be refined for public performance.

Step Three:  Plan on a large-scale production afterschool that you can stretch out over several months of rehearsals.  This will allow you to work with the sports program and "share" kids between play rehearsals and sports practices. A show with different groups of characters each with their own numbers and scenes would work best.  Then, on weekends or whenever possible, you can stage the large group numbers where all the groups come together.  This may require you to stretch rehearsals from early Fall through the Spring.  This way, it's an ongoing process that will allow you to use a large number of kids.
    Hopefully, these strategies will allow you to appeal both to those kids that harbor a secret desire to perform as well as maintain a high standard that will inspire other kids to get involved.  
    Good Luck!!!

------------------------------
    Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Recruiting for involvement question

Posted 02-27-2018 08:02
    Here are a few ideas shared with me by teachers over the years. Some teachers will pick a show like High School Musical that needs basketball players, cheer leaders, etc. so they can work to get some students from those groups involved. A show like Shrek the Musical is an opportunity to audition "by voice" and that may bring in students who otherwise wouldn't consider being in a show.

Some teachers will pick a show that involves stage combat and then have an after-school session where their students demonstrate some stage combat techniques (strangling and grabbing someone by the hair and throwing them around are favorites, along with punches of course).

Stage combat seems to draw more guys. Another option is stage makeup: bruises, scars, cuts, stitches, etc. Lots of students may be at least curious enough to show up. 

And of course, "if you feed them, they will come." If you have a meeting to introduce students to theatre, have something for them to eat. For the most part, pizza is "magic" food and draws students.

The minute we invite someone to become involved, they ask themselves, "What's in it for me?" Try to address that depending on your needs and goals and hopefully you'll make them an offer they can't refuse.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 4.  RE: Recruiting for involvement question

Posted 02-25-2018 16:00
    Until my recent  retirement, I taught at a small school (120). To make sure students got exposure to theater, we take the two weeks before Thanksgiving and shut down the regular curriculum, and all of us work together to produce and  perform the all-school musical!  It is regularly one of the high points of the year, and has become a centerpiece of our school culture and curriculum. Students are either involved in the cast or chorus, or they build sets, costume the show, sell the tickets through the box office, create the publicity, practice in the band, and do anything else needed to create a full-blown performance in two weeks. We've done Back to the 80's, In the Heights, South Pacific, The Wizard of Oz, Rock of Ages, among others. Students take the leadership, supported by a committed staff. Thus, our dean of students is a band member, our director teaches social studies, our choreographic helper is our guidance person, our set team coordinator teaches Chemistry. . . you get the picture!  The program has drawn considerable press attention, always helpful to a school  trying to  attract students, and the visiting accreditation team held the program up as an examplle of a school pursuing excellence. Let me know if this might work for you, and  I'll put you in touch with the  right people!

Charlie McMeekin

--

"The mission of The Sharon Academy is to nurture intelligent, independent, and creative thinking in a small school community, awakening students to their immense potential and the difference they can make in the world."