Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 03-29-2017 18:52
    I'm currently working on the ballots for our awards ceremony, and I'm finding myself concerned about being sensitive to gender. We've always done Best Male Performer/Best Female Performer/ Best Newbie/Best Techie type awards.  

Now I am finding that this is bothering me.  It's gnawing at me, actually, but I'm not sure to handle it. From other posts, I know that many of you have students who identify as  transgender, or in some other way non-binary, and you've done amazing things with rest room and dressing room accommodations. So, if you do awards at all, how do you deal with those?

For Little Shop, I think I'll just do "Best Lead" and put Audrey, Seymour, Audrey II and then "Best Supporting" and put Orin, Mushnik and the urchins.  But, what do I do with our improv shows? 

I was thinking maybe "Best performer, choose two." 
    Thoughts?

------------------------------
    Rebecca Rajswasser
    Teacher
    Ocala FL

• 2.  RE: Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 03-30-2017 09:18
    Yes, it would gnaw at me too. I don't know if you have the kind of relationship with your student body that you could ask them and possibly enter into a discussion about it, but I think that is a great start. We just spent a day of professional development at school discussing trans issues and one take away was to take the students seriously when they identify as non binary, even if this changes for them on a weekly basis (as it might especially during the adolescent years.)

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 3.  RE: Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 03-30-2017 10:08
    Although this hasn't come up for us it is a very valid point. How about separating by class or upper and lower classmen (so you don't have 4). We have a specific award for our underclassmen called the "Up and Coming Award", and it's been a great addition to our ceremony. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 03-30-2017 12:28
    If you have transgender students who identify as male or female, then you don't need to do anything but consider them for the gendered award.  (I'm not necessarily in favor of gendered awards).  It does get tricky when people identify as non-binary.  One of the things I took away from my school's LGBTQ PD was that if you have questions, simply ask.  Ask transgender students to brainstorm this with you.  Don't feel like you have to figure out the answer.  It's tricky because there really isn't an answer yet!  :-)

Amanda Meldrum
    Drama and Music Instructor
    Rochester NY

• 5.  RE: Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 03-30-2017 12:57
    My solution is to offer two "Best" awards in each category with no gender specification. That way if your top two performers happen to be both female or both male, then you can award them that way. It also eliminates gender issues.

Darren Laughlin Means
    Drama Director/Troupe Leader
    Asst District Network Administrator
    Hardin High School/Hardin Middle School
    Hardin MT

• 6.  RE: Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 03-30-2017 16:10
    I have always found the gender separation in acting awards a bit odd. We do not have doctors and doctresses, after all.

At our Zone Festival we award "Excellence in Acting / Performance" exclusive of gender.

(I am still fighting at our school about Top Academic Awards that still have gender bias in some subjects...)

Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Leader
    Hunting Hills High School
    Red Deer Alberta

• 7.  RE: Awards Ceremonies and Gender

Posted 04-10-2017 09:19
    I think you are right and smart for handling it. Why not just one award best performer or best actor. Actor encompasses all genders; however, since the kids are used to actor and actress, it may be good to use best performer, best supporting performer,...

In my troupe we don't do awards like these, so I can't speak from experience; however, I could see where there would be an issue. I have had several transgender students, and they would easily go into the category of the gender they identify with; however, I also have and have had a few students who prefer no gender and that would get tricky, plus why the need to separate. The best, can just be the best. 

Another person mentioned upper and lower classmen, which might be very helpful. It would give a chance for new students to not be in competition with more experienced or well known students, especially if the students vote themselves for the winners. It spreads it out and offers more awards and is encouraging to new students. 

Personally we only do thespian honor and scholar type awards, and thespian of the year (voted by the students). We also recognize the outgoing and incoming student board of officers, which in our troupe includes a representative from each grade level. We stopped doing best actor and other such awards years ago, at the students' request. They wanted to be recognized more for their involvement, dedication, and work, and have it be less about talent, since an ensemble is what makes a show strong. I have a HUGE troupe though with hundreds of students involved in shows every year so this may not be the same needs for your troupe.

Our thespian district does one act awards for best actor (can be male or female), best supporting actor, best cameo, ... none of those are gender specific.

Kathleen McNulty
    Theatre Teacher
    Panama City FL