Open Forum

View Only

musical for small space, mostly female cast

• 1.  musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-16-2017 02:29
    Hello,
    I would like to do a musical next year for my singer heavy advanced drama class.  They are mostly females with differing vocal ranges.  We are confined to a small micro theatre for the next two years while our new performing arts centre is built.  Since it looks like I will be doing it in early December, a holidayish theme would also be nice.  
    Thanks,
    John

------------------------------
    John Rowe
    Theatre Teacher, Advisor Washington Street Players
    Independent School District of Boise
    Boise ID

• 2.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-17-2017 07:40
    This doesn't fit your holiday requirement, but look at Dear Edwina. It's charming and fun with lots of featured moments.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-20-2017 01:46
    Wow.  Thanks everyone for the feed back.  I do have one minor correction.   By mostly female cast I mean ALL female cast.  I've got no male singers in my program at the  moment and the choir is too busy.

John Rowe
    Boise ID

• 4.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-21-2017 12:56
    I recommend Quilters. It has historical relevance, can be done in a small space, is all female, and is a beautiful script.

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 5.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-24-2017 12:39
    Not holiday, but A...My Name is Alice?

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 6.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-17-2017 09:34

Hi, I used to be the Drama Teacher at Boise High, oh so many years ago (1984-88) and am thrilled to hear you're getting a new space.  What about "Quilters" as an idea?  I know the Idaho Shakespeare Festival, with whom I also worked at the time, did the show during that late 80's time frame.  I also know The Costume Shop (run by Starr Moxley) used to own all the quilt blocks and the legacy quilt from the ISF show.  I would love to chat with you sometime about where the program is now, I'm sure it's very different.  (jenny.brotherton@scrsd.org)  It's kind of funny, I started my teaching career at Boise High and am close to ending it at Scranton High. 

Jenny Brotherton
    Drama Coach-Teacher
    Scranton PA

• 7.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-17-2017 10:49
    The musical version of Little Women fits the holiday season very well. It does have a nice role (or two) for males. 

Best Wishes,

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 8.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-17-2017 10:59
    I would also recommend Little Women. Another option, although it's been a really long time since I looked at the show, might be Jane Eyre...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-17-2017 13:33
    Steel Spring Productions has a series of shows that are four females. The Marvelous Wonderettes is a delightful musical in which the first act focuses on four high school senior girls and the second act happens during their high school reunion. Full of funny and poignant moments, it features music from the 50's and 60's. The company is very reasonable and you get to keep the scripts and music instead of renting and returning. Their have sequels including A Wonderette Christmas. I have only done the original show, but it was well received with a standing ovation each night and an extra matinee has to be added due to word of mouth excitement about the show.

Jennifer Morgan-Beuchat
    Director of Theatre
    Leavenworth High School
    Kansas Thespians Advocacy Liaison

• 10.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-17-2017 14:26
    A wonderful and unusual small set but large cast holiday musical is The Mystery of Edwin Drood. It's a mystery but it's Dickens and set over Christmas time. The set is a Victorian music hall which means footloghts and a series of drops (roll drops would be ideal if you can rig them) but no structures, platforms or furniture, and a lot of the action takes place out in the house. There are 6 men and 4 women principals with a mostly female chorus, but the lead role of Drood is a britches role (woman playing a man) and several other roles in the show can be presented the same way.  The multiple endings make is especially fun for the cast and the audience if you are doing several performances. 

Although it's not holiday theme, I've always been a huge fan of Moby Dick, the musical. It's a little raunchy but a lot of that is how heavy you hit the double meanings. The music is great. It's an almost entirely female cast (it's Moby Dick performed by a British girl's school on Parent's Day) with the only major male role being the headmistress, who is a guy in drag. The piece is purposefully (and creatively) low tech. I produced it in a small blackbox. Its fun to note that while the premise is crazy and over the top, the show itself actually sticks pretty close to Herman Melville, using some actual passages from the novel!

Hope that helps!

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 11.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-21-2017 10:07
    This is not a holiday themed show, but Alonso High School in Tampa did a wonderful production of DISENCHANTED! at the 2017 Florida Thespian Festival, with a cast of 10 women. Someone described it as "The Real Housewives of Ever After." The author of the show, Dennis Giacino, attended the festival and Alonso High School's production became the inspiration for DISENCHANTED! School Edition.

Jim Hoare
    New York NY

• 12.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-24-2017 09:30

If you have one killer boy then a suggestion would be STOP THE WORLD I WANT TO GET OFF.  One boy the rest girls.   You can cast the main love interest as one girl or divide it with several girls.  I think Tams Witmark has it. 

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

​​​​​

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 13.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-24-2017 11:49
    I would also like to echo The Marvelous Wonderettes.  We did it two years ago, and it was a huge success.  No males are needed, and the audience will love the music.  As stated above, there is a Christmas sequel that might fit your holiday needs.

Trevor Yarbrough
    Teacher
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN

• 14.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-25-2017 11:56
    I just closed Little Women this weekend.  You need a strong girl for Jo as she carries the show and is on stage almost the whole time.  I chose it because I fell in love with the score.  If you have a student orchestra, they need to be pretty strong as the songs are challenging.  But it doesn't require a lot dancing and it was a fun show to put on.  It has a good mix of comedic and serious moments.  You do need a few guys, though to be Laurie, Professor Bhaer, Mr. Brooke, and Mr. Laurence.  The storybook characters can easily be doubled.

Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 15.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 04-25-2017 12:54
    Have you considered NUNCRACKERS? The show, which is part of the NUNSENSE series, is hilarious and available in two editions: small cast (6 principals plus 4 children) or large cast (12 principals plus a flexible-sized chorus). It's a single-set production, holiday-themed, and lots of fun. One principal role is male, but we've seen that role riotously played by an actress.

If you prefer something darker, I highly recommend CABARET for programs without strong male singers. If you cast a girl as the Emcee, you really won't need any boys who sing, and the chorus is entirely female. Sally Bowles and Fraulein Shneider are excellent roles for strong singer/actors, and the set can be quite simple and intimate. Of course, CABARET does not have a holiday setting, but its themes are as timely as ever.  Good luck!

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 16.  RE: musical for small space, mostly female cast

Posted 05-02-2017 19:52
    Thanks for the continued suggestions.  I've looked into several of them.  I should also mention that all the music will have to be on soundtrack as our band and orchestra have their own performances to work on.

John Rowe
    Boise ID