Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian Consequences

Posted 09-18-2019 07:35
    Kids aren't what they used to be. At least not where I teach. In my 18 years, I've noticed a significant measurable decline in the integrity, commitment, and professional ethics of my theatre students.  I have several Thepians (who became such as Freshmen) who are now seniors and treat the department horribly. They are terrible role models for a theatre students who is supposed to 'honor excellence in theatre'. 

Does your troupe do any sort of 'consequences' for Thespians who don't live up to the code?

------------------------------
    Eric Hokanson
    Stafford VA

• 2.  RE: Thespian Consequences

Posted 09-18-2019 11:54
    In my department, if any members aren't in good standing, they have the potential to lose their graduation honors, get reduced points for performances, be removed from productions/activities and/or not be allowed to participate in any anything until their standing has been restored. Being in good standing includes appropriate choices in behavior, following through on their responsibilities, keeping their grades up, being active in the troupe and (in the case of upper classmen) being appropriate role models. 

If you don't have anything specific written into your bylaws or constitution you might want to think about amending them to reflect your updated expectations. It will probably take a couple of years to train your younger students in the appropriate behaviors.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Thespian Consequences

Posted 09-19-2019 08:17
    I second what Shira says.  

Last year (after my first two years taking over a program), we adopted the EdTA Core Values (https://www.schooltheatre.org/about/mission/corevalues).  We put posters of them up around the space,and we spend time last year at each production talking about them and how we would use them. It helped.

This year at our Indiana Thespians Leadership Retreat, our keynote speaker Scott Wilson (who is on the EdTA Board), led all troupes to come up with three core values to focus on for the upcoming year.  In coming up with them, we looked at what our needs were in terms of improving morale, behavior, etc.  

Hopefully you have a couple of leaders who are not bad role models and can help guide the troupe.

On a related note, I am looking next year to require students work at least two events in our auditorium that they are not a part of.  So many students in my program only want to be on stage, and never take a chance to work as an usher, backstage, or in the booth.  We have lots of events that need staffing, and most are super easy to work.  So in this way I'm hoping to improve morale and the thoughfulness of all of our students in the program.

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Munster IN

• 4.  RE: Thespian Consequences

Posted 09-20-2019 17:58
    I think it all depends on how the students see the program. Published core values and such are fine, but if they see the program as just a high school thing and then lose interest, they'll flake off. But if they see it as training for college or for a professional career, then they'll look at it differently. Chances are, the ones who lose interest will just drop out instead of hanging on and making trouble.

In cases like this, I always suggest talking to the sports coaches and seeing how they handle it.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net