Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Revues

Posted 04-26-2020 16:08
    Hi all,

My theater company is looking into creating online programming for the summer, with the end result being a virtual musical revue. I am wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction in any of these ways:

1. We would love to a Disney revue. Is there a script that already exists and is able to be licensed? Or would we have to create one ourselves?
    2. What is the process for obtaining performance rights for individual songs? Is there a different process since they are being recorded?

Hope everyone is staying healthy!

------------------------------
    Michael Busani
    Off-Beat Players
    Greenwich CT

• 2.  RE: Musical Revues

Posted 04-27-2020 13:08

I can help with a few of your questions, but I cannot help with the video rights because I haven't had any experience with that. 

There are some great musical revues at JW Pepper. When you purchase the sheet music from them, you are purchasing the performance rights as well, but you must purchase enough copies for all of your performers. 

The same is true of the individual songs as well, which can also be purchased at JW Pepper. 

Understand, you cannot add lines from the scripts to the show.  At this point, you are performing the show and you must pay for the entire rights to the show. 

You are free to create your own script that does not include dialogue from the original show. 

Luckily, most of JW Pepper's sheet music also has the accompaniment available. 

Good luck!

Melissa Wood
    Owner/Director
    The Hive Repertory Theatre
    Rincon, GA

• 3.  RE: Musical Revues

Posted 04-27-2020 13:36
    Thank you so much Melissa! That clears up a lot and knowing that will definitely make this process a lot easier

Michael Busani
    Boston MA