Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Leader of the Pack - two questions

Posted 09-18-2017 00:44
    I think we might do Leader of the Pack this Spring as a fundraiser for a bigger musical next year. I have only a few hundred dollars for the production so I think this will be super fun and simple to do.

Two questions:

1) I've never directed a musical before. How many hours of rehearsal do you think it would take for us to put on Leader of the Pack? I have two options: a) 22 rehearsal days (46 hours) plus tech or b) 38 days (76 hours) plus tech. 

2) I see that SF doesn't provide the music for the show, though they do provide the score. How do I get pre-recorded music for each of the songs? I don't have enough money for a band, and we don't have a band in our HS yet. 

Thanks millions!

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    theater director
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: Leader of the Pack - two questions

Posted 09-19-2017 10:14
    Hey there! I did this show 4 years ago and it was a lot of fun! Since you have never done a musical before, I would err on the side of having more rehearsals and adjusting as you go along. As for music, I use The MT Pit. They are incredible and much cheaper than an orchestra. They provide rehearsal tracks as well, so you could have them day one of your rehearsal. They are very fast with turn around time and can adjust keys and measures as well. They usually run around $1000 for my 500 seat theatre. Hope this helps!

Laura Lindahl
    Snellville GA

• 3.  RE: Leader of the Pack - two questions

Posted 09-19-2017 10:41
    I've directed Leader of the Pack - it's not easy! Although the music is fun and well-known, the lead character's role is extremely difficult to get "right." She has to be able to gradually move toward a total nervous break down - high school students have to work really hard to get here. There is also the relationship issue that is difficult to pull off. It's hard to make it not boring. That being said, you can do a lot of cool choreography and creative costuming with the music. I would take the longer rehearsal schedule. As far as the music is concerned I can't help much there. There is a company that produces soundtracks for performance but the name is escaping me at the moment - RT something.

Have fun and break a leg!

Ellen Augustine
    Language Arts Instructor/Theater Director
    Goshen IN

• 4.  RE: Leader of the Pack - two questions

Posted 09-19-2017 11:58
    In terms of the track for Leader of the Pack, I received the following response through EdTA from a Samuel French representative:

Thank you for posting on the EdTA forum!

Unfortunately, SFTracks are not available for this title, and you may not utilize other vendors. The two available packages are piano only (just piano and vocal chorus books) and full package (full orchestra). Approved tracks are not available through any other vendor, and live music must be utilized for this title. While we're working on making SFTracks available for as many titles in our catalogue as possible, they are not currently available for all titles.

Click here for a full list of titles with tracks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,

ROSEMARY BUCHER

Licensing Representative

d. 917.933.7734 | o. 866.598.8449
    rbucher@samuelfrench.com

Arden Thomas
    theater director
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 5.  RE: Leader of the Pack - two questions

Posted 09-19-2017 20:44
    What would be helpful (and cheaper) is to hire a local college musician, someone who's studying music at college who can come in and play the live piano track (since the requirement is live music). I think you should be able to have the whole score played by a pianist. Our first musical was Wizard of Oz and Tams Witmark had a similar stipulation that no pre-recorded accompaniment track could be used, only a live orchestra or a pianist. 

College music students should have the ability to play, and you can pay them a reasonable amount that won't break the bank. Your licensing fees can be paid after your show has closed, if you need to, so you have a little bit of leeway, but focus on the longer rehearsal period, and keep the set to a minimum. This is your first go at a musical, and there are no easy musicals when it's your first one. You're going to learn a lot! You're going to do fine, and your kids will rise to the challenge. 

But yeah, go for the longer rehearsal period. :) 

Ideally, you'll want the pianist to come practice with your kids before the show opens, so budget accordingly, but see if you can at least work off of rehearsal tracks from somewhere to rehearse the kids with.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON