Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Our Town questions

Posted 12-03-2019 10:11
    Hi, all. We are planning on Our Town this spring, and as we shift into planning mode (and final script confirmation), a couple entry-level questions for the group.

* What was your approximate running time for the show?
    * Was there anything in the script that your admin and/or audiences found objectionable or age-inappropriate? We're in a very conservative community (about the size of Grover's Corners, actually) and have to be cautious in our selections.

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL

• 2.  RE: Our Town questions

Posted 12-03-2019 12:10
    Hi Josh,
    I've done Our Town a few times.  Twice as a mainstage and a few times as class study.  I don't think there is anything to be concerned with except...maybe...the fact that Simon drinks, but it's clearly frowned upon so could not be interpreted (well "should" not be) as promoting alcohol. 

Check out this link - especially Steven Slaughter's comments and attachment.  Our 2016 production was absolute magic in large part due to Steven's inspiration!! 

https://www.schooltheatre.org/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=c01e42ab-4345-4be6-bb70-e1ef95258727&CommunityKey=35d3756e-031c-447e-a020-14aeb57718f1&tab=digestviewer#bmce7c06fa-c400-45b2-b661-df29c1254208

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Our Town questions

Posted 12-03-2019 14:53
    Amy, what an encouraging thing to read! I'm so glad I was able to be of help. 

Steven

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 4.  RE: Our Town questions

Posted 12-04-2019 08:32
    The show runs a bit under two hours. 
    There is nothing objectionable in Our Town.  It is such a beautiful show; both timeless and universal.  The minimal sets make it easy to produce, I directed it 12 years ago, and it's on my short list of shows to do again.

Robert Ellis
    Theater I-IV Honors
    Visual & Performing Arts Department Lead
    Cosby High School
    Midlothian, VA

• 5.  RE: Our Town questions

Posted 12-05-2019 12:31
    I directed this last fall.  It is a beautiful show, still quite relevant.  I personally love the way the drinking of the Simon Stimson character is handled in the text.  While one woman seems to take delight in gossiping about him, others refer to his having problems in his life as they express concern.  Just don't let the actor make him funny. 

The play is written with two intermissions.  We only took one between the drug store and the wedding and it worked well.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC