Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-21-2018 13:22
    We're currently doing a production of a play in which one of the characters (African American) has to reveal a network of scars on the back from whipping. We're having a tough time trying to find a way to build scars that will be believable to the audience and which will also come off fairly easy afterwards. Does anyone have some great ideas for creating those scars and how to remove them after the show. Thank you.

--
    1862 Happy Lane
    Apt. #30
    Eugene, OR 97401

(541) 357-5030 (Home)

"When an individual is protesting society's refusal to acknowledge his dignity as a human being, his very act of protest confers dignity on him."   Bayard Rustin

• 2.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-22-2018 08:57
    I cannot personally answer this question, but Mehron Makeup has a technical support line. Gene Flaharty answers these questions all the time and they are there for your use/support for questions exactly like this. Their phone number is 888.552.1331. 

I'd ask him (he answers this line), he's super-knowledgeable about this process.

------------------------------
    --
    Marty Boyer
    martyb@theatrehouse.com
    President, Theatre House
    www.theatrehouse.com

• 3.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-22-2018 09:30
    Thank you, Marty for this very helpful answer. We will make the contact. Have a good week!

Stanley Coleman
    Eugene OR

• 4.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-22-2018 10:24
    My recommendation would be to use Smooth On Skin Tite Silicone. The product can be tinted for any skin tone and makeup can be applied to it. Here is a sample of a brand I did for The Three Musketeers using the product.

You can purchase it on Amazon. It is an easy product to use. I have a youtube tutorial on the use of the product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pIOFWY7CCE

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 5.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-22-2018 11:47
    You can make them with liquid latex, but don't build them on the actor.  Use the clear latex and build the scars on a flat smooth surface.  Use tissue to give it some techure allow each layer to dry.  It takes about 5 layers in order for you to pull it up.  Before you pull it make sure to use a setting makeup powder on the top and bottom to remove the stickiness.   If you make the scares about 12 inches long and then glue them to the back and don't connect or over lap them, they will move with actor.  You can use any cream makeup to color the latex and then powder that as well.  You can use a glue remover to remove the pieces each night.

• 6.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-22-2018 14:32
    Wrinkle stipple is an effective method. It'll actually pull the skin tight as it dries. Once you've built up a few layers you can use make-up to age it to the appropriate look

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-22-2018 19:43
    Thank you, Shira.

Stanley Coleman
    Eugene OR

• 8.  RE: Scar Makeup for Back

Posted 01-24-2018 08:02
    If you decide to purchase an appliance for this (or cast one) look into Graftobian Pro Adhesive rather than spirit gum. It's more flexible. I've had decent luck buying prosthetics on Etsy.

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL