Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wireless Headset system?

Posted 09-05-2019 11:58
    Hey all,

I need to replace the headsets we use backstage with a minimum of a 7 person system that is wireless. Does anyone have one they recommend? I'm most concerned about the ability of the mic to pick up sound when the person that is talking is not speaking loudly. I'm looking at an Eartec system for this. Has anyone used this brand and, if so, how's it working for you?

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 2.  RE: Wireless Headset system?

Posted 09-05-2019 12:57
    I've been very happy with the eartec Ultra light system with the hub. I think the quality is much better than the belt pack systems they have.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Wireless Headset system?

Posted 09-06-2019 08:00
    Shira, I have used and rented Eartec systems for a number of years, and continue to be amazed at the performance of the UltraLite headset transceivers - I agree they sound better than the beltpack version.  They seem to outperform their specs in terms of distance.  I have one school that uses them that have a 1000 seat theatre, a 30ft deep stag with 20ft backstage area, then a brick wall a 20ft corridor another brick wall then the band room they use as a staging area/dressing room, and the system has no problems working from the lighting booth into the band room - to say I was astonished was an understatement!  I could try to sell you on a ClearCom system, but you can get a 7 station system (Hub + t Transceiver headsets) for around the same as they charge for a beltpack and headset.

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 4.  RE: Wireless Headset system?

Posted 09-06-2019 11:39
    Hi Shira,

I have also used the eartec system and it has worked for us. However, my crew and I prefer the ear cup  (over the ear) style of headset as opposed to the floating on the ear. It makes the commands easier to hear and improves soft speech.

Best,

Mack

--
    Mack Dugger
    Teacher
    Department of Teaching and Learning
    Pacific Avenue Education Center
    440 W. Lomita Ave., Glendale, CA 91204
    "Totus Mundus agit historionem"
    Bravo award winning Teacher
    Kennedy Center Creative Ticket Award
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!

• 5.  RE: Wireless Headset system?

Posted 09-06-2019 08:13
    Hey Shira,

Hope this finds you well. We have Telex wired throughout our theatre. Telex does offer a wireless package as well. We looked into it a couple of years ago but the funding was pulled. I have used the Eartec system. Our sister school used them as their system. The issues I have seen, and they see with them is the durability. The plastic on the headsets tends to crack and break. Also there is a limitation to the number of wireless headsets you can use with the hub.

We are trying an experiment in the spring. ​Our football team have a wireless system for the coaches. We are going to see if it works in the auditorium.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School