Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-04-2018 14:16
    My school is starved for classroom space and I was approached today about utilizing the stage in the gym for my classroom.  I think it would be great to have my students working on a stage in what amounts to a studio theatre environment.  I would also use the space for my rehearsals after school which would be a lot easier than using a regular classroom and then transporting to the theatre during tech week (our theatre is used by outside organizations as well so I don't always have access to it).  Do any of you have your classroom on your gym's stage?  If so, how well does that work with the PE classes?  Are there any "enhancements" you would recommend?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Jerry Seeger
    Director Of Drama
    Plantation FL

• 2.  RE: Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-05-2018 11:56
    If it's at all possible, build a temporary wall in the proscenium for security & as a sound barrier.

Billy Houck

• 3.  RE: Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-07-2018 12:09
    Your school may be different, but my stage is also in the gym, and so are the PE classes. It would not be feasible at all to use our stage as a classroom, due to noise and flying objects.

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 4.  RE: Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-08-2018 10:43
    An architect was supposed to come in this week to discuss something similar.

Jerry Seeger
    Director Of Drama
    Plantation FL

• 5.  RE: Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-09-2018 06:23
    For years we had a similar problem with a space we called a cafegymtorium. We built 4 by 8 platforms which we put together at the end of the gym, usually takes since the seating was not. We then built our walls from there. You can purchase commercial ones, too, which we eventually used for our raked seating. It is flexible enough to allow for a proscenium stage or a three quarter thrust or theatre in the round. We still use that for our graduation s tage in the gym.Biggest problem was the lights. Lacrosse balls were the scariest! But eventually we built a new theatre. Good luck!

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 6.  RE: Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-10-2018 12:53
    This has been the story of my situation at my current school.  

Though, mine is temporary.  We have to build the stage, set up the set pieces, run the show, then strike it all away because a church comes in Saturday night.  Our production week starts Tuesday evening if we're lucky.

So long as you have the electrical and audio systems either in place, or easy to set up, gym performances can be really good.  Seating is always an issue for us.  Since the church shares our storage, we don't have enough chairs to fill the room, and the bleachers can be a nightmare when doing kids shows (running and climbing the ENTIRE show).  

My school invested a very pretty penny is lighting, audio and staging solutions.  We have cages around EVERYTHING.  Now it's not perfect, but it's a space we have, and we do the best we can.

Good luck!  For you, my main concern would be the gym kids.  I have to spend all my time in the gym watching my equipment to ensure that some kid doesn't try to hit it with a ball.  They have, then I chewed them out and scared the crap out of many of them.  No problems since then.

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

• 7.  RE: Theatre classroom on gym stage

Posted 06-12-2018 21:37
    ​Jerry,

There are a lot of good suggestions. Sound is the key. Gym's are very noisy and the sound bounces everywhere. You want to work with the school so that you are the only thing in the space for your classroom time.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School