Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play: Spoon River Project: The answer to Quality vs Quantity.

Posted 05-03-2018 12:27
    ​Hi All:
      Thank you so much for all the great answers and discussions regarding my last post about Quality vs. Quantity. In looking for a script I stumbled upon The Spoon River Project published by Playscripts. I like that it can be performed with as little as eight actors and can balloon up to 25-30 people if needed. That allows for flexibility and I also think the staging capabilities are fantastic with this creative piece.
       Have any of you directed this show and what was your experience? My main concern is lack of interaction with actors on stage. We can do some cool things with the staging and music at the top. But eventually, I feel an audience might get tired of watching a bunch of monologues. Let me know what you think?

------------------------------
    Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707

• 2.  RE: Play: Spoon River Project: The answer to Quality vs Quantity.

Posted 05-03-2018 14:26
    I've never produced it but I saw a production at a high school play festival where they had the actors tell the stories to other actors.  They did it kind like a traveling band of people who were sitting around on trunk and crates and barrels.

Joel King
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: Play: Spoon River Project: The answer to Quality vs Quantity.

Posted 05-04-2018 07:27
    I've looked at that play for all the same reasons, but I've had the same concerns. I'll be eager to see the replies to this discussion.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Play: Spoon River Project: The answer to Quality vs Quantity.

Posted 05-04-2018 12:43
    I directed the show this past fall. My students LOVED it and grew more as actors than I would have believed possible. We did the show outdoors at a local cemetery, just at dusk. It was amazing. I would be happy to answer any question you come up with. I highly recommend the play!

Frieda Gebert
    Drama and Speech
    Boyle County Schools
    Danville, KY

• 5.  RE: Play: Spoon River Project: The answer to Quality vs Quantity.

Posted 05-06-2018 20:39

My name is Tom Andolora. I am the playwright who adapted Spoon River Anthology into The Spoon River Project. I am very grateful for all of you who have considered producing my adaptation and grateful to anyone who has already produced it.

I understand all the questions asked here. They are good ones. 

If I may first give you a little background on how I created The Spoon River Project.  Like most of you, I am a theatre educator. I taught theatre for probably 40 years. I started out teaching Drama in my hometown of Jamestown,NY during the summers I was in college. I moved to NYC about 35 years ago. In that time I have taught theatre in many, many public schools as a visiting resident artist.  I taught drama in a private school for several years. I taught theatre/musical theatre and had a private voice studio at Brooklyn College for several years.  I am now spending more time writing and less time teaching.

I started working on Spoon River monologues many years ago with young actors.  After working on the monologues for several years, I had created a 20 minute staged presentation of monologues and a few songs I threw in. It never dawned me i was writing an adaptation.  It only occured to me, after many years, that my 20 minute staged classroom presentation was the start of a full length adaptation. It was only then I seriously started to create The Spoon River Project, It all came from my class work as a theatre educator. I am telling you this, because I identify more as a theatre educator than as a playwright. 

Now to get to your questions and concerns...  Personally, I never refer to The Spoon River Project as a "play".  I have always called it a "theatre piece with music".  It is not a typical play, so it is better not to approach it in the same way as you would a traditional play. I think that will free you up some.  It is a unique piece in that aspect.

I have a deep, great love of the work of Edgar Lee Masters. I think his writing is miraculous.  I don't consider what these characters are divulging to us as "monologues".... to me they are deeply human stories... revelations, confessions.  The brilliance of his writing is that he somehow created fully fleshed out characters and complete stories in each of these short monologues. The Spoon River Project also has a very strong theme of "community" in it. These people most probably know each other. This may be the first time they have heard these stories from the other residents of Spoon River. Or... they may have known, or even been responsible for the way they affected each other.  So it's important that they listen to each other and react to what is being said.  Some of the stories stand alone, and some of the stories can be told only by putting  two, three, or four characters together.

The people of Spoon River were not always kind to each other. They were not always kind to people in their own homes, or even to themselves. The stories cover the spectrum of the human experience.

I always urge directors to TRUST the material. It's brilliant. Not me, but Edgar Lee Masters. I have seen productions where directors assume the audience is going to be bored so they add a lot of extra stuff, which in the end just muddies the waters.  The stories they tell are powerful, and interesting, and dense. Trust the source material!

I have directed The Spoon River Project five of six times.  As a director you must work with each actors to find and communicate the story. What are these characters telling us? Why are they telling us?  Sometimes it is obvious and sometimes it takes a long time to figure out. I am pretty confident I know all of these characters now.  However, I always leave the door open to the possibility that perhaps there is more to a character's story than I have figured out.  Sometimes a different actor will have a great idea, or see a character in a different light than what I have seen.  Figuring out what the story each of the characters are REALLY telling us, and getting the actors to communicate that story is the challenge of the piece. It is also the great reward when the actors make the discovery. The actors have to understand every word they are speaking.

Also remember Edgar Lee Masters wrote these stories with no fourth wall, which makes the work very theatrical. The people in Spoon River know there are living people listening to them. They are compelled to tell their story. They refer to the audience as "passerbys". 

One last thing. The music.  Much of the music is related to the characters and the story being told. I took great care to choose appropriate music. It reflects on the characters at times.  I feel the songs are the pillars of the piece.

It took me (aside from working on the pieces in class for a couple decades) three years to complete The Spoon River Project. I was lucky as a playwright. I was able to have it produced in my hometown for three years before it was published. Each of those three productions helped me fix the piece to get it where I wanted it.

I hope this helps with any questions or concerns you may have.  The Spoon River Project was a labor of love for me. I wanted to bring EL Masters great work to a new generation.

I hope this helps with any questions or concerns you may have. I do understand there are about 100 different reasons you might choose a particular piece to produce. I thank you all for reading my "theatre piece with music" and are considering producing it.

I am always very happy to answer any questions anyone has for me. My email address is tomandolora@aol.com. Please feel free to contact me personally or reach me on this thread.

Thank you.

Best Regards to all.

Tom Andolora

Tom Andolora
    NYC NY

• 6.  RE: Play: Spoon River Project: The answer to Quality vs Quantity.

Posted 05-16-2018 17:17

Hello.

Three people have written me with questions about the music, so i would like to answer them here.

The Spoon River Project is a play with music. It is not a musical. You do have to have some cast members that are also singers, but everyone needs to be a soloist. Most students that are in theatre programs are usually in choir as well. Much of it is group singing. There are some solos. The young guy character in the show sings Just Before the Battle Mother, which is probably the biggest solo.  I hope the singing doesn't scare anyone away from producing it.

It comes with a score for two violins and piano. You can just use a piano if you would like, but the violin parts are gorgeous. It's not a difficult score to play. The music often accompanies that monologue. This is very important to understand. If anyone else has any questions, I am very happy to answer them. I have seen it performed with more instruments and I have seen it performed acapella.  Personally, I wasn't crazy about the acapella production, but it was interesting. The score is so well done. The instruments were arranged by a very talented musician in NYC... Pearl Rhein, who was in the original Broadway cast of Natasha, Pierre...  The point is, don't let the music stop you if you are interested in the piece.

I am grateful to be posting here. I am enjoying reading all the other posts to see what your concerns are. Like I said, I was a theatre educator for a long, long time. Probably a pioneer like many of you. I can relate to what your concerns are.  

Thank you.

Tom Andolora
    NYC NY