Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Camp

Posted 03-19-2018 15:05
    We are tackling a theatre camp for elementary students 3rd - 5th grades. This is our first year and are looking for recommendations. We are wanting them to perform readers theatre style productions and then a small choreographed number at the end of the week. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 2.  RE: Camp

Posted 03-19-2018 22:45
    Can you be more specific? 

Is this your first time working with this age group? Do you need help/advice on how to handle the age group? 

Are you looking for activity suggestions? Appropriate reader's theatre style scripts?

When I was doing summer camp activities for this age group, we did a lot of improvisational games (they work just as well for elementary as they do for high school, just scale them down appropriately.) I would highly recommend any of Jessica Swale's 'Drama Games for...' books: tons of great exercises/games/activities that can be scaled down or used with this age group.

What particular info or advice are you seeking? Your post is somewhat broad! I almost want to recommend to you Red Robin as great restaurant to get a fine American cheeseburger, but have a feeling this wouldn't be what you're looking for...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 3.  RE: Camp

Posted 03-20-2018 07:41

We did our first summer camp last year and it was a huge success, so congrats on taking this on! We had two age groups, rising 3-6 grades and rising 7-9. Both groups started the day together with warm up games, then separated into two groups, cycling through stations: art, acting, music and choreography.  They learned the same song in both music and choreography, so they could sing and dance it. 

At the end, we had an art show, and the younger group did a reader's theatre piece with movement, and their song/dance. The older group did a memorized short play (20 mins) and their own song/dance. Then we came together as one big group and sang a final song all together, with some very simple movement. 

It was a huge hit with the kids and the parents seemed really happy, too. It was also a good fundraiser for us. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 4.  RE: Camp

Posted 03-20-2018 09:07
    I’m going to see Journey to Oz (Pioneer Version) at a nearby college to see if I can use it for summer camp. The catalog says lots of audience participation

Maria Stadtmueller

Sent from my iPhone