Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  OLIVER

Posted 06-19-2019 18:57
    Hi community.
    I am considering OLIVER for our fall musical and wanted to see who has done it and what advice you might have to share about pros/cons, audience/cast response, casting, staging, set, etc. I see MTI has the UK 2009 version - is it much different than the original?

Thank you for any feedback you are willing to share.

------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 2.  RE: OLIVER

Posted 06-20-2019 08:34
    Go for it! Great show w/ a wonderful score based on classic literature...a possible cross-curriculum tie in w/ your English Dept., a unit set and no costume changes! The 2009 West End revival has a wonderful opening that provides the audience w/ the back story of how Oliver came to be. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 3.  RE: OLIVER

Posted 06-21-2019 13:15
    I directed Oliver! 15 years ago, using the original script and score, and this past February, with the 2009 version. The new version has some changes, many of which seemed arbitrary. "Consider Yourself" goes on forever!,  with numerous dance breaks and reprises. There's a lot more underscore without dialogue that begs to be filled with stage business. "I Shall Scream" has been cut to one verse, probably since the original would never fly in the #MeToo era. Sikes has a short scene with Fagin in Act I​. The finale sequence is sparse on dialogue, but it has a laughable number of "It's Bill Sikes lines from the crowd. (My students found it hard to find variety. It was awkward.) The heart of the story is still pretty intact. I would not let these changes deter you from doing the show. It still offers great opportunities for dancing and singing ensembles, as well as some dynamic principal roles.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA