Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-15-2017 10:04
    Our performing arts department is planning for next year. We will be opening with Peter & the Starcatcher and my band guy is wondering what the percussion part entails. Anyone with experience on this show have some insight?

------------------------------
    Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Teacher
    Natrona County High School
    Casper WY

• 2.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-16-2017 07:51
    Having JUST finished this show, I can tell you that the percussion part is quite varied and serves more as sound effects and punctuation marks in the score than as actually part of the rhythm for the music.  The instruments needed are varied and vast--from xylophone to a comb.  At one time I made a list of all the pieces.  I'll see if I can find it in the post-show cleanup and post it here.   Also--make sure you allow enough time to work the timing of all of the orchestration (i.e. underscore and sound effects) as some may be altered (which is allowed according to the production handout) to fit your own staging.  The three songs also have much harmony (one about 6 or 7 part) which can be challenging.  We ended up scrambling in the end, because what seemed so simple really involved a great amount of coordination.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 3.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-16-2017 09:37
    We just closed the show.  The percussion is pretty huge in the show.  In an early conversation with the music director, we joked that the show requires every percussion instrument ever created. I second everything that Holly said--especially incorporating the music with the blocking as early as possible.  Some of the music/sound effects may help to inspire some staging or character choices for your students.

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 4.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-16-2017 13:27
    Okay,  Here is my probably incomplete percussion list--along with a few surprises.
    cowbell
    triangle
    whip crack
    bean pod rattle
    claves
    woodblock
    ratchet
    boatswain whistle
    violin
    toothed ruler (I'm not sure what this was)
    chimes/tubular bells
    desk bell
    ship's bell
    boxing ring bell
    djembe
    xylophone
    timpani
    bass drum
    snare drum
    and any other fun things you might want to add

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 5.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-21-2018 10:55
    Thank you, Holly, for posting this.  We are considering this show for next year.  Is it possible to do this show without a music director if I can find student musicians?

Ryan Colton
    St. Charles, IL

• 6.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-21-2018 18:49
    Well, we did it with one drummer and a pianist. My advice is to get on the music early. It underscores a lot of the action and the numbers are in tricky time signatures. "Swim On" is going to be in my nightmares for a long time. It's a hard number to coordinate with the musicians. The fact that there is no reference recording or track to work with made it difficult. I loved doing the show, I just underestimated the music.

Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Natrona County High School
    Wyoming Chapter Director
    Casper WY

• 7.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-22-2018 19:21
    You can do it without a music director, if you have a really, really good student who knows
    Music. I had some quite accomplished student musicians, and still our hired accompanist ended up helping to straighten out many of the musical conundrums, but at the same time, there were times when the accompanist couldn’t wrap their head around the creativity to make some of the pieces work. It helps too if you know something about music, even if you can’t play the piano.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: Peter & the Starcatcher instrumentation

Posted 05-22-2018 09:22
    Hello,

We did this show last year with an electronic keyboard and a talented pianist/music director who also handled all the sound effects from the keyboard and a laptop. Although he did a great job, I underestimated the amount of time we would need to work the many moments in the show that needed percussive accompaniment.

It's a fantastic and fun show!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA