Open Forum

View Only

Laramie Project cuts?

• 1.  Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-09-2017 12:32
    First of all let me say how lucky O am to be doing the Laramie Project this year and to have an administration that is behind me and supporting this production. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the Principal, the student director, and the Thespian president to discuss possibly editing out F bombs and part of the prison monologue.
    I am of two minds on this myself. It will be a friendly "come to the table together" discussion about what is best for audiences and future productions.
    My question is only this, if you have done Laramie Project did you make any of these cuts or did you perform it as written?

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 2.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-09-2017 12:39
    Have you contacted Dramatists to inquire IF you can make cuts and if they have a high-school version that they license. Any cuts without their permission would be a violation of your contract with Dramatists.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-10-2017 08:47
    Scott, 

Have you written directly to Tectonic Theatre to ask them? 

- Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 4.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-11-2017 03:42
    I've done it twice - both times for public performance as written. We did hold a special assembly with only the "clean" parts for our middle school. 

Two different Heads of School with very different opinions on profanity. Both times I told them and the cranky parents that these were real people and the play accurately quoted what they said when they were interviewed. 

I did use a mature language disclaimer on the poster and the programs the second time. I didn't need to the first time as we received a grant from the City and were able to put their arts logo on everything -  that helped!

I hope you are able to do the play as written, but I also highly recommend that you speak to the Tectonic Theater Project - they are very helpful.  

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespian CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 5.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-11-2017 10:02
    Tectonic Project has an education department. They are very willing to work with you to help with your production. Contact them through Tectonic's website or through Dramatists Play Service.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 6.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-11-2017 19:42
    I second Jason LeClair’s suggestion! I found that Tectonic was very supportive and easy to deal with. They want the show to be done and were willing for me to cut anything I though necessary. (I think that is exactly what I cut!) They were also great allowing me to later cut the show down to 30 minutes for a play festival.
    Congratulations on having a supportive administration!

• 7.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-28-2017 09:48
    Marilyn-

I am interested in seeing your 30 minute cut.  Would you be willing to share what you cut?  I would like to have some idea before I contact Tectonic.  I have tried many different ideas on cuts and I am not happy with any of them, but I really want to use this for festival. My email is: mwashington@millenniumacademy.net

Myndee Washington
    Spring Hill FL

• 8.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-31-2017 11:59
    Since I have been retired for 11 years, I really didn't think I still had the cuts.  However, old habits never die, and I found the list of pages.  Message me and I'll send them to you.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 9.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-11-2017 08:18
    Scott:

I hope that the administration has come to understand why schools can't just pick and choose what words in a script can and can't be heard at their discretion, and that any changes must be approved by the authors, which may not be forthcoming. If you need assistance communicating with DPS or with Tectonic, or making the case for the show being done as written, please contact me at artsintegrity@newschool.edu.

LARAMIE PROJECT is an important piece, done by schools across the country. I hope yours can move forward without incident, for the benefit of your students, your school and your community.

Regards,
    Howard Sherman

Howard Sherman
    Director, Arts Integrity Initiative, New School of Drama
    New York NY

• 10.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-14-2017 10:21
    Scott,
    You may not remember our conversation a couple of years ago, but I grew up with Matt and know many of the people whose words made it into the play. We did this show a few years ago and when I was asked about the language my argument was two-fold: One, this is not a fictional play with made up characters, this is a piece of journalism and these people's words represent how they felt in that time. To censor them would be antithetical to what we teach about citation of sources.
    Second, the play revolves around a viscous murder in which a young man had his skull bashed in with the barrel of a large gun and left for dead. That to me is much more offensive than a few F words. The jail monologue is important in that it gives McKinney's reason for killing him: "He touched my dick." That simple phrase encapsulates the hate crime aspect of the murder and also shows that even a "macho" character in jail sees through the idiocy of the gay panic defense.
    I followed our district's policy on showing films in class: All students had a parent permission form in order to audition (it helped that this was for my thesis and had to follow IRB procedure) and we had a disclaimer on the poster about the language.
    Also, I would be willing to have a conversation with your cast for background on Matt, the event and what it was like to be in Laramie when Matt was killed if you are interested.
    Hope your meeting went well,
    Zach

Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Teacher
    Natrona County High School
    Casper WY

• 11.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 03-29-2017 20:29
    Just came across your post in the digest. 

Im literally in tech for this show, 5 days frim opening. 

I was instructed to cut every "shit" and other cuss word, the line you referenced, and more. 

I wasn't allowed to do Midsummer - which is why we're doing this....with the cuts.

I dont even really know my reason for posting. Just felt the need to share. 

If I can offer anything, let me know. I guess I'll be contacting Dramatist and Tectonic tonight.

Estella Church
    Theatre Director
    Hawthorne CA

• 12.  RE: Laramie Project cuts?

Posted 04-03-2017 08:48
    Hi all,
    I did the Laramie Project about 3 years ago and we censored very little, if at all. I would also add to this that we are a Catholic School. It did take some convincing that this was the right play to do, but the response afterwards was incredible. I am not sure how you could cut anything out without interrupting the story. In fact, we created very purposive educational experiences with the students around the topic of hate speech. At the same time we did the play, there was a gay couple that was beat up in Philadelphia (where our school is near). The students saw this as a sign that things are not changing as quickly as they should. These characters are real and their words are important. For the production itself, I focused specifically on language and used words throughout the performance in the form of gobos, newspapers around the stage, etc. It was through hate speech that Matthew was killed, how do you tell the same powerful story with out the language?

I would be happy to discuss more if anyone is interested.

Some pictures of our production.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life & Malvern Theatre Society
    West Chester PA